Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Switching feeds

Hi Dr Getty,
I have a question about Nutrena horse feeds. I am currently feeding Ultium to my high-energy jumper (9 yr old Appendix Quarter Horse). He had problems with focusing and hoof quality, but those issues have cleared up while he was on Ultium. His energy levels no longer have the peaks and valleys that it used to. I am going to a boarding stable where they feed only Nutrena (I think). What would be a good switch (if there is one) and the pros and cons of the switch?

I am also moving my insulin-resistant Morgan gelding over there. He is on Quiessence and Triple Crown Lite. He looks much better. I am afraid of switching feeds (to Nutrena) when I take him. Any suggestions? Also, is there a Nutrena product that caters to his needs?

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Switching feeds

I just looked at the Nutrena website and it seems that their feeds have high starch, protein, and very little fat. What do you think?

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Switching feeds

Hi Andrea,

I certainly appreciate your concern. Nutrena does make a low starch/low sugar feed called "Safe Choice" however, I have found dramatic inconsistencies between products depending on where each one was produced. So, Safe Choice is not always safe!

Your Appendix may do ok on the Farr XTN made by Nutrena. Even though it has oats and barley, it is also high in flaxseed meal and rice bran.

But, your Morgan really needs a low starch feed. Take a look at the Safe Choice ingredients label and see if corn is listed. It is not listed on many bags because, like I mentioned, not all products are the same. If it doesn't contain corn (or oats) but only grain by-products, you're ok. And, keep up the Quiessence. You may also find Quiessence helpful for your Appendix because in addition to reducing insulin resistance (for your Morgan), it calms the nervous system and produces a better disposition.

I hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO