Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
non-commercial feed

hi dr getty
i love your site
i have a question for you
if you could make your own feed what would be the ingredients for
a 1000# 4 year old, 800# 2 year old and 800#yearling quarter horses all healthly, and are easy keepers would it be better to feed a commercial feed such as ultium and add minerals(accel) and flaxseed(1 cup) scoop lycene i would like to feed around 1 lb per day per horse (give or take)as i do now or to make my own rations with minerals, flaxseed, alfalfa, beet pulp etc etc. and if so how many pounds per 100 of each. to get the best ration
i was told by somone sice i only feed 1 lb of ultium per day then i should just switch to oats and add minerals, i just dont like the thought of adding the starches with oats is why i feed ultium
thank you soo much for this site

Where are you from? ohio

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: non-commercial feed

Hi Derek,

Your posting sounds very similar to the one I just responded to for Felicia.

Yes, I agree with you about the low starch content and hence, Ultium is a good choice. But, if I were to make up my own feed for youngsters, it would be consisting of beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, and a flaxseed-meal based supplement such as Glanzen Complete (instead of Accel) to provide the omega 3 fatty acids, additional minerals necessary for bone growth and tissue development, and health hooves and haircoat. To that, I would add Pure Lysine according to their need. But, to know this, you really must have your hay analyzed for its lysine content. You could simply add 2 scoops of Pure Lysine, but I think it's best to know how much horses are getting from their forage. So, consider having it analyzed at Equi-Analytical.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

to make my own feed should i add half of each beet pulp 1/2 lb and half pellets 1/2 lb then add 2 or three scoops glazen complete then add 2 scoops of lysene(after i get the hay analyzed)
i just want something to go by
thank you
derek

Where are you from? ohio

dr. getty
i was reading that both alfalfa and beet pulp is both high in calcium and low in phosphorus
will the flax seed even it out?

im thinking about feeding 1/2 lb (dry weight) beet pulp, 1/2 lb alfalfa pellets and 1 cup flaxseed 1 scoop of lysene(working on getting analyzed) and 1 scoop of accel

but i was thinking about taking the flaxseed and accel out and adding glazen

they would get this once a day but when winter hits i will prob have to move the alfalfa and beet pulp up to 2 times a day
thank you so much
derek

Where are you from? ohio

Hello Derek,

Your plan looks suitable and you can adjust it according to your horse's weight. Yes, beet pulp and alfalfa are high in calcium but at the amounts you're feeding, there is not concern about the extra calcium. Horses can safely tolerate a calcium to phosphorus ratio of up to 6 to 1.

Flaxseed meal does have an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio and you could add it. However, I prefer that you do as you mentioned -- add Glanzen Complete , which is flaxseed meal based. This is because you'll get more benefit from the vitamins and minerals in Glanzen than you would by doing Accel plus flaxseed meal that you grind yourself. Grinding flax yourself is tedious and must be done daily because it can very easily go rancid.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

one more question (i think) since i am trying to lower my feed costs, i was wondering if i could use just regular glanzen instead of complete, (this would save me over 250 a year
or is there a cheaper suppliment that i could use that would compare such as preox 2 oz a day
thank you
derek

Where are you from? ohio

Hi Derek,

Yes, certainly you can go with Glanzen instead of the Glanzen Complete. The only difference is that Glanzen Complete is well, more complete, but if your grass or hay is of good quality, the Glanzen will be fine.

PreOx is also flaxseed meal based, but because you feed less of it, the amount of omega 3 fatty acids are not as high. It is, however, an excellent source of antioxidants vitamin E and C as well as others, so it too can be used.

You will do your horse a service by choosing any of these supplements, so go with the one that suits your budget best.

All the best,

Dr. Getty