Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
laminitis

hi
i have a 14hh part bred arab show pony who has had 2 attacks of laminitis. i am wanting to know how to bring his condition and fitness back up without another attack happening. i also want to know the best way i can feed him as he is currently just on happy hoof and i want to bring his weight back up as his ribs are slightly showing.

Where are you from? stockport

How did you locate this forum? on the internet

Re: laminitis

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear about your horse's bout with laminitis. Once a horse develops this problem, it can become chronic and the liklihood of another attack is high.

I would love to help you but I have so many questions about his background, diet, medical interventions, cause of the attacks, etc. So, please consider setting up a time for a phone visit.

It is extremely important to monitor the starch and sugar content in the diet of most laminitis cases. This means that no feeds that contain cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, wheat, rice, etc.) and no molasses, and no carrots or apples. So, this is the first thing to look at.

Next, is your pasture and the effect of fructan consumption.

Next, is the magnesium content of the diet and the possibility of underlying factors that can lead to laminitis (infection, cushings, stress, etc.).

So, as you can see, it can be complex and having a great deal of experience with laminitic horses, I hope you'll consider contacting me for further assistance. Here is the link for more info: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/TalktoDrGetty.htm

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO