Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
older horse hay belly

I just aquired a horse that is approx. 18 yo. He is very thin but carries a hay belly. I am currently feeding him grass hay, alfalfa pellets and have just started supplementing with Equine senior. I trail ride approx. 3 times per week for about 3 hours. I am wondering how I can put some fat on him without increasing the belly?
Thank yoou so much
Anne

Where are you from? Showlow Arizona

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: older horse hay belly

Hi Anne,

Thanks for writing!

Contrary to popular opinion, a "hay belly" is not fat. It's Gas! Horses do not put on body fat on their bellies. So, being thin with a large amount of gas distension tells me that the bacterial flora living in the hind gut are not healthy.

So, I have several recommendations. First, give him Ration Plus to boost the health of those bacterial flora so they can digest forage more efficienty, produce less gas, and help him gain weight.

Second, add a weight gaining supplement. Preferably, one that offers joint protection as well, such as Reitsport. He is not getting enough nutrients to fill in the gaps from Equine Senior and the additional omega 3 fatty acids from the flaxseed base in this product, will boost his overall health and appearance. It is also high in B vitamins to provide assistance with digestion, nerve cells, skin and hooves, and tissue repair.

And, finally, make sure his teeth are floating at least once each year. Poor teeth is the number one reason for weight loss. A good worming program is also essential including treatment with prazaquantel for tapeworms. And, a five day dose of fenbendazole (Panacur Power Pak) is likely something he'll benefit from if it hasn't been done in a while.

So, those are a few suggestions. I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: older horse hay belly

Thank you so much for the suggestions I will let you know how it works out!
Anne

Where are you from? Showlow Arizona

How did you locate this forum? search