Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
colitis?

Thankyou for a great web site, your patience and time too. I have another question,
My 19yr. old Lusitano stallion has started to pass a lot of liquid with his droppings. It's not diaharrea (sp) as when I clean his stable everything is normal but his hind legs and tail need washing everyday. We have tried various over the counter products and even yogurt but no luck. Dry shredded beet pulp helps a little but he seems to get used to it after a week or so and the watery discharge comes back as bad as ever. My vet tried a 5 day course of cortisone and it stopped the water straight away, but as she said we can't continue with this cortisone treatment for long,to her that was the proof it was Colitis(hope I have translated correctly). She now suggests stopping all hay for a week and using pellet substitutes and see if that works. What do you think? I have run out of ideas. The horse is doing fine, very fit and full of himself, blissfully unaware of this problem.

Where are you from? English living in Italy

How did you locate this forum? internet search engine

Re: colitis?

Hello Elizabeth,

Loose stools can have a variety of causes and true colitis in horses is really quite uncommon. I think feeding hay is the best thing. But, if there is any mold, or dustiness to the hay, it could contain mildew that can cause diarrhea.

Also, make sure his water supply is clean and free from algae growth or bird droppings.

Yogurt can cause diarrhea because it contains lactose and horses are lactose intolerant. But, a probiotic is a good idea, so see if you can find one that is designed for horses.

Brewer's Yeast is also a good supplement because it, too, is a probiotic and provides additional vitamin B1, which helps with diarrhea.

And, make sure he is wormed regularly with wormers that are designed for your area.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thankyou for your answer and thankyou for a great web site.
Elizabeth

Where are you from? English living in Italy

How did you locate this forum? internet search engine

Any time! You're most welcome.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO