Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
weight loss in pregnant mare

Hey!

I have a pregnant mare that is about 3 weeks along. She is a very easy keeper and is, shall I say fat! I am pulling her off pasture so as to minimize her feed intake. When she is more settled in her pregnancy I will start a light exercise routine. Because she lost her last foal at about 6-7 months last year I am a little gun-shy about working her too hard right now. Any suggestions to help her drop weight, other than the usual diet and exercise? i.e. supplements??
I am feeding her (don't have actual weights for you) a good heavy flake alfalfa/grass mix twice a day with a couple cups low-carb type grain with her vitamins in the evening.

Thanks!
Kim

Where are you from? Oregon

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: weight loss in pregnant mare

Hi Kim,

Thanks for writing about your mare. The best advice I can give you is to let her self-regulate her intake and give her grass hay at all times. Alfalfa is good, too, in moderation.

Pasture may be high in sugar, and therefore, it may be advisable to take her off of it to avoid laminitis. However, have your hay analyzed for its sugar and starch content so you know what she's getting.

Feeding her at intervals, like we do ourselves, goes against a horse's natural way of eating. They are trickle feeders and need to chew constantly to keep the digestive system healthy.

And, reducing her forage intake actually makes her gain weight since her metabolic rate decreases. Also, it is stressful, causing her cortisol levels to rise and hence, making her insulin resistant (which causes fat storage).

So, hay 24/7 is a good idea. And, as far as supplements go, I would add magnesium and chromium to her diet. Quiessence would be beneficial in her case.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: weight loss in pregnant mare

Thanks!

Where are you from? Oregon

How did you locate this forum? search engine