Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Navicular Syndrome

Dr. Getty

I have a 12 year old horse that has Navicular Syndrome. I believe this was brought on by bad shoeing over the years and I am not happy about it. I have retired him now from barrel racing but would like to continue trail riding with him. His case is not extreme, but I can see that is causing him pain, after standing in the stall he acts lame but soon comes out of it after moving around. I would like to know what would be the best pain relief for him and to reduce the inflamation without causing harm to him. Also I have read that I need to grow his heels out to bring his toes back so that he has a more correct set. So I am looking for some hoof supplements to help with that. I have been looking long and hard and want options that i can take and know what can help him. Thank you for your time in reviewing my questions. :)

Comet & Mandy

Where are you from? Butler, Indiana

How did you locate this forum? Googling :)

Re: Navicular Syndrome

A friend of mine has a horse with mild navicular, a 20 year old QH. She pulled his shoes off, got a "natural" farrier, who did trim him a little long and in such a fashion to lengthen the heels, shorten the toe. She stopped putting him in his stall at night, 24 hour turn out in a large paddock with buddies that keep him active. She also watches his weight, so that he is not overweight. Since making those changes he no longer needs pain meds or anti-inflamatories. He doesn't get grain or any supplements.

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? internet

I'd be hesitant to pull the horse's shoes if he has navicular syndrome. He may need the extra support that a good shoeing can provide. Personally, I think some of the so-called "barefoot" or "natural" shoers aren't too impressive. Whoever does this horse's feet will likely need to shorten the toe (maybe square it a bit so he'll break over correctly) and help the heels grow out and move backward. This sounds weird, but sometimes the heel has to be shortened to allow the toe to come down and back. You don't want to end up with a tall heel and stubby toe. Correct balance and adequate support are critical. Maybe your vet can refer you to a good farrier.

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? Horse DDS

Hello Mandy (and Pam and Krista),

The issue of whether or not to shoe is complex and personally, I have found shoes to be helpful if properly done with the correct support. However, I tend to go with the barefoot approach whenever possible. Having said that, I am not a shoeing expert, since my area is nutrition, so let's talk about that.

You want to improve the circulation to the foot and at the same time provide hoof support. So, depending on what you're feeding, it is best to go with an antioxidant supplement such as PreOx. This would take the place of any other vitamin/mineral supplement that you're using. And, added to this, go with a good hoof supplement that won't overlap with PreOx -- I recommend BioFlax 20.

For pain, a buteless supplement will either eliminate the need for bute or at least reduce the dosage of bute, if you're giving him that. I like Super SuBstitUTE. It comes in a liquid or powdered version.

Certainly a diet low in starch is best where you eliminate cereal grains from the diet (oats, corn, barley, etc.) is best. And, mild exercise -- simple grazing is best since standing in the stall for hours does not give him the circulation he needs.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you all for your suggestions!! I have read that putting an egg bar shoe on will help with stability and support of the foot. I do not keep shoes on him through the winter. My main concernt is controlling his pain. I have started him on a hoof supplement and my farrier has been educated on doing proper work on this problem. I have also turned him out 24 hours. He does not have a problem with weight and he is a very healthy horse (I am fortunate) very easy keeper. I am going to continue gathering information and I want to start him on the Super Substitute. My question for this is how long does it last in the system and if I am riding all day on the trails how much should I actually give him? I am going trailing riding in mid October for a week and would love to take my faithful partner with me, but I want him to enjoy it as well and not be in pain by the second day. Thanks Again Mandy & Comet

Where are you from? Butler, Indiana

How did you locate this forum? Googling :)

Hi Mandy,

The Super Substitute is an herbal preparation and needs to be continually supplied, with a good loading dose for one week and then down to a maintenance dose. For occasions where he may be in more pain, you'll want to give him a dose twice each day.

Keep in mind that pain relievers do not "cure" anything -- they can reduce inflammation somewhat, but they can also mask pain. So, damage can still take place during prolonged activity. So, my recommendation would be to consult your vet and farrier to make sure he is sound before a long trail ride. If you only mask the pain, he may become worse.

Keep up the fine work of taking care of him!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO