Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glanzen vs. Quiessence for stress

Hi Dr. Getty,

I have a 14yo Paint gelding, who was a show horse (halter and western pleasure) up until about 3 years ago when his previous owner bought him. He was bought as a show horse for their youngest daughter, who lost interest, so he was mostly just a pet. I bought him almost 3 months ago, (I won't be showing, just pleasure riding) so I'm still getting to know him. The previous owner didn't do anything in the way of supplements, other than electrolytes in our Arizona summers. He is eating grass hay only, no grain, and even with that is a bit overweight.

He is starting to look better already, with some regular work and good old fashioned elbow grease. I'd like to get him on a good supplement regime for his overall health. One thing I'm beginning to notice is that he seems to get stressed when he is going to be worked. He starts breathing hard when I'm grooming him, kind of like a person does when they are nervous. He will breathe a little harder normally when we have our really hot days here in the AZ summer, so I have him on daily electrolytes. No coughing or wheezing. But I'm seeing a definite difference between when I am grooming him just to groom him as opposed to when he is getting groomed before he is tacked up. It took me a while to figure this out.
Maybe he is associating it with the stress and hard work of showing. Anyway, I was looking at quiessence, as well as the glanzen lite. The glanzen also is supposed to be good for keeping them less stressed, but is one better for that then the other?

He did have a stone bruise about 3 weeks ago, that seemed to take a long time to heal. It could have been just a bad bruise, but I also think that he is taking a little longer to heal because he needs a boost to his system, that he wasn't getting all the nutrients he needs. The vet had recommended using a hoof supplement (although I don't know if that will help with tender soles or is more for the actual hoof wall) which is why I was looking at the glanzen. (btw, he is fine now)

As far as other supplements, I think I would want something that has pro or pre biotics for his digestion, as he had colic surgery about 3 years ago. (about the time the previous owner got him; he never had an auto waterer before he came here, and got dehydrated), he has some stiffness in his hocks that has gotten better as he's been moving around more. (his age most likely)

I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible, while covering all the important issues...the stress factor, gut health, maybe some MSM for his joints?

Thanks,
Agnes

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Journey Through Horsemanship yahoo group

Re: Glanzen vs. Quiessence for stress

Hi Dr. Getty,

I just ordered Reitsport lite, as it seems very complete, having all the ingredients of Glanzen, as well as the joint support. Do you think this has enough of the calming ingredients, or should I also use the quiessence?

Also, I've been giving him daily electrolytes, Electro Dex by Farnum. Can I continue this with the Reitsport, or do you prefer something like Quench?

thanks for your help
Agnes

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Journey Through Horsemanship yahoo group

Re: Glanzen vs. Quiessence for stress

Hello Agnes,

Since we corresponded personnally, I'll post my response again here for the benefit of my readers:

Good morning Agnes,

He can benefit from three things:

1. B Vitamins -- the Reitsport Lite you ordered has a full dose of all 8 B vitamins.

2. Magnesium -- so you'll want to add Quiessence. Add 1 ounce per 250 lbs of body weight until you see his behavior settle down. Once he reaches his goal, then give him 1 ounce per 500 lbs of body weight for maintenance, since most horses do not get enough magnesium. There is no magnesium to speak of in Reitsport Lite.

3. Ration Plus -- this is a prebiotic which is preferable to a probiotic in his case. A probiotic has live microbes and is useful when a horse is on antibiotics, for example, to replace those microbes that are lost. But, a prebiotic like Ration Plus does not contain live microbes. Instead, it feeds the existing bacteria, making them healthier and better able to keep the digestive system in good health.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO