Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding bread to horses

I also have a friend that feeds bread solely to his bucking stock cows and his working horses. They are gorgeous! I have recently fallen into a Pepperidge Farm distributor deal....he gives me all his expired bread. Now, this is not your white bread - it is honey flax, oat, wheat, pumpernickel - all the white stuff sells out. Would you still feel the same way about it if it is all whole wheat stuff?

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: Feeding bread to horses

Hi Jenifer,

A whole grain bread as you described can be fed as a treat -- there is still white flour in it -- look on the list of ingredients and if it says "enriched wheat flour" that is white flour. It will likely be close to the top of the list of ingredients, meaning that is it high in concentration.

As a treat, a whole wheat slice of bread for a horse that has no weight, insulin, or cushing problems, is fine. But, not as a meal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO