Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
in need of energy!!! help please

My sister has a 7 year old TB who is on Ultium, and they have recently added in a Lixotinic supplement to his diet. He has been tested for anemia, and it was negative. He turns his nose up to beet pulp, and alfalfa cubes. I am worried that they are not fully investigating the issue here and I am trying to do my own homework on this guy. He is just an extremely lazy ride...BIG spurs and a whip and he still just drags himself around everywhere. When I can get their vet to come pull a CBC what levels might I lookout for in this case? What would you reccommend my next step or steps be?
Thank you so much!

Where are you from? Raleigh, NC

Re: in need of energy!!! help please

Hi Christina,

Thank you for writing. Anemia can be due to a vitamin B12, Folic acid (another B vitamin) or Vitamin B6 deficiency, instead of iron. And, I never recommend iron supplementation to horses unless they are diagnosed as iron deficient. This is very rare, since grass and hay are very high in iron. So, I would recommend stopping the Lixotinic.

So, the best advice I can give you is to provide B vitamins, not only to boost red blood cell health but to metabolize carbohydrates, proteins and fats inside the cells so he can get energy to function. Give him 2 ounces per day of BPlex.

I would suggest having a CBC done and see if there is anything out of range. If you need help with interpreting the results, let me know but if everything is normal, definitely go with the B vitamins. There are additional supplements we can consider, but this would be the first approach, and the most important.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

ok thanks for the info on the Lixotinic!! I will make sure that it is stopped. Now with the CBC results, are there any levels in particular that if found abnormal would relate to energy/activity level? I'm just trying to prepare myself with specific details for their regular vet, as I am not his biggest fan and I am not so assured that he will fully inform me of all the details with this kind of stuff. I know there are numerous things it could be, but are there any that stick out in your mind as the most often seen? Thanks again for your advice!

Where are you from? Raleigh, NC

Hi Christina,

You'll want to look at tests involving the red blood cells -- if they are at all abnormal, they cannot adequately deliver oxygen to the tissues, and the result is fatigue.

So, check for abnormal values in the RBC (red blood cells), Hgb (Hemoglobin) and Hct (Hematocrit).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

My 4yo stallion Dusty, normally the energizer bunny, is having some issues with his energy level. He was really sick with a respiratory infection last year and never really seemed to get back to normal. I've had him back to the vet for several follow up visits, and each time his blood work is within normal limits. Two months ago the vet did an endoscopic exam and diagnosed a sinus infection, dispensed antibiotics, etc. The vet said he probably wasn't getting enough air to allow him to perform without fatigue. After treatment Dusty's energy level did not improve. I took him back to the vet, who thought he just needed more time to get built back up, and he recommended Lixotinic, which I began that day. Dusty still isn't himself, plus his hair has lost it's shine and he's urinating 2-3 times each time he's ridden, which is not his normal pattern. Currently Dusty's being fed coastal bermuda hay and alfalfa pellets, plus the Lixotinic. We've tried other feed programs (alfalfa hay, Buckeye's Alfa Grow N Win, etc) but nothing has helped. He is the only horse in the barn that isn't thriving. I have a call in to the vet for tomorrow. I'm at a loss for what to think. Could these symptoms signal a metabolic or nutritional disorder, and if so, what nutritional help can I give Dusty?

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? Horse DDS

Hi Pam,

I am so sorry to hear that your horse is not feeling well and it certainly is frustrating when an accurate diagnosis is not available.

The first thing I would do is stop the Lixotinic because he doesn't have an iron deficiency and adding more iron to the diet is harmful in that situation. He gets plenty of iron from his pasture and hay.

From a nutritional perspective, I would make certain that he is getting all the nutrients he needs, including omega 3 fatty acids to build up his immune function. One good route to go is to give him 2 ounces per day of PreOx -- a potent antioxidant preparation that is in a flaxseed-meal base, making its omega 3 content favorable.

I would also add DMG to his diet to improve his respiratory function.

Is there any possibility of an ulcer? This can create the symptoms you describe. Also, encysted larvae can create this problem, so a five day double dose of fendbendazole (marketed as Panacur PowerPak) is advisable once or twice each year.

Those are a few suggestions. If I can assist you further by visiting with you personally over the phone, please let me know. That way we can go over his entire situation, medical interventions, past feeding programs, history, etc., to come up with a customized feeding plan for him where the goal would be to get him back to his normal self.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

In my phone consultation with the vet on 10/1, he said that I could spend many hundreds of dollars on diagnostic tests and not have an exact answer for this lack of energy. He didn't feel that the change in the pattern of urination was significant. We did discuss 'scoping to look for an ulcer. He suggested 14 days of UlcerGuard and 30 days of Thyro-L, both of which we started the next day. The vet also brought up the possibility of training burn-out, which I just don't think is likely. I know my trainer protects his horses mentally and physically from over training, and Dusty isn't showing any behavior that would indicate that he's burned out- no tail wringing, ear pinning, nasty attitude, etc. He's been ridden lightly for a couple of months (lots of trails and enough trotting and loping to maintain fitness )and has been shown only a few times this year. So, can I add the Pre-Ox and DMG to the meds Dusty's getting now, or should I wait until this cousre or treatment is over to start them?

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? Horse DDS

Hi Pam,

Yes, the DMG and PreOx will not interfere with what you are currently using for treatment. So, you can feel safe adding them to the diet along with the ulcer treatment (and the thyroid treatment). I hope you'll only be using these two medications over the short term. True hypothyroidism, for example, in horses is rare.

All the best,

Dr. Getty