Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hoof Cracks

Hi, I'm new to this site and have found it very informative. I have a 9 yr old thoroughbred gelding and I've had trouble with his feet for the past 10-12 months. He only has shoes on his front feet and his front feet get horrible cracks. Usually starts with a hole in the toe , then cracks a bit from there. He's never become lame from it, but I worry from all the jumping and trailriding I do , that it could crack worse.I've tried everything! I have him on a bioflax supplement, I treat his feet everytime I'm out, which is about 5 times a week. My farrier is a huge fan of Reducine which does help the foot grow...however, I feel that its making the foot too soft, more vulnerable to cracking. I've recently switched to turpentine which is what we used at the racetrack and the horses there had great feet.

I was wondering if you had a foot supplement in mind and / or a foot dressing that you could suggest? Thank you !!

Where are you from? Columbia, MD

How did you locate this forum? A friend from my farm orders supplements through this site

Re: Hoof Cracks

Hi Kristy,

The best way to treat an unhealthy foot is from the "inside, out." In other words, good nutrition will do much more good than top dressings. A good hoof supplement will have plenty of biotin, along with essential amino acids, and relevant minerals. I recommend BioFlax Ultra in this case.

Keep in mind that it takes at least 6 months for you to start to see improvement.

I agree with you about too much hoof treatment since it can make the hoof too soft. I find hoof treatments to be best when there are extremely dry conditions. And, during wet conditions, having a dry place for horses to stand out of the mud is important.

I hope this is helpful. The other thing to possibly consider is evaluating his entire diet to make sure there aren't any gaps. And, plenty of forage (hay and/or pasture) should be offered at all times since going without anything to eat for hours can take its toll on all areas of the body, including feet. So, if you need assistance with this, please let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO