Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
my pony foundered

My parents just bought me a pony that foundered last year at 7%. We were told her diet could only consist of hay, no treats, carrots or apples; nothing with sugar. I train 6 days a week and compete in equitation and am concerned about her nutrition. Are there supplements or vitamins that she should be taking?

Where are you from? Marlton NJ

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: my pony foundered

Hello Baylee,

Thank you for writing. You're wise to pay close attention to her diet since once a pony founders, she is more likely to have another attack.

A low starch/low sugar diet is the goal. So, since she can't have carrots and apples for treats, you'll enjoy looking at Skode's treats that are made for horses that need to avoid sugar.

But, you asked about supplements -- depending on what and how much you're feeding, it's a good idea to fill in the gaps with a good vitamin/mineral supplement. D Carb Balance is one that offers additional nutrients along with added magnesium and chromium, which will help reduce circulating insulin levels in her blood and therefore, reduce her risk of laminitis.

I would also recommend that you have your hay analyzed for its sugar and starch content, since this can be a concern for your pony.

Since she's in training, she does need additional calories than just hay can provide, so if you need assistance customizing a feeding plan for her, please consider arranging a private consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO