Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rusty water

Hello, I have had wonderful advice from you before so I thought I would run this by you. I just moved my horse home for the first time and I am having water problems with him. We have well water that is rusty/irony and he does not want to drink it. He normally drinks about a 5 gallon bucket a day and now he has only had a few inches in the last few days. I have been doing pinch tests on him to check for dehydration but so far he has not been tenting, but it is making me very nervous. Do you have and suggestions? Right now I have 3 bucket in with him; 1 with normal well water, 1 with well water and apple juice, and 1 with tap water from my work.

Thanks, Kelly

Re: Rusty water

Hi Kelly,

Gee -- this is something that you need to pay close attention to and I commend you for looking into fixing the problem.

The first thing to be aware of is the iron content. It may be too high and this can cause problems with other minerals getting out of balance. Forage and pasture are very high in iron, and excessive iron can lead to a variety of health problems.

The easiest thing to do would be to have a filter placed on your water system to remove the excess minerals. But, he should be drinking at least 8 gallons of water each day, and preferably more, to avoid dehydration. By the time the skin tents, dehydration has progressed too far.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO