Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fat dressage horse with diarrhea. Help!

I have a 7-yr old Oldenburg doing 2nd/3rd level dressage. His regular schedule is 45 mins work 5 times a week, and showing once a month. Work consists of stretching over his back, then moving into collection, starting pirouettes, flying changes, and lots of lateral suppling. His particular favorite is extended trot. He's a very "thrusty" mover.

He hurt his back in a trailer accident a couple of months ago and had a month off with just handwalking. He's now back to work and we're up to 25 mins each day, wtc, leg yield, shoulder-fore, nothing fancy or demanding and no collection. Just trying to build his strength back without stressing his back. Not surprisingly, he put on quite a bit of weight while he was off, despite his SafeChoice ration being cut from 2.5lb to 3/4 lb twice daily, just to mix with his supplements.

He's always been an easy keeper (think "air fern!"). He's also had diarrhea on and off since I got him last July. It comes and goes with no real reason--not related to stress, etc. Maybe due to hay quality, but since I'm at a boarding facility, I have no control over that and they change suppliers regularly.

When I use psyllium it clears up for a couple of days, then comes back. Sometimes it goes away for weeks, then comes back out-of-the-blue. It's also very liquid in nature, almost as though it's fluid rather than food that he's not digesting. On Saturday, he lifted his tail in the cross-ties and calmly projected a stream of green runny poop all over the walls, cabinets and vacuum cleaner.

I've tried Yea-sacc, Probios and psyllium. Someone at our barn is recommending fastrack. Nothing seems to have any long-term effect. I've also heard good thinks about Ration Plus and BOSS/flax seed. The other problem is that so many of these supplements talk about keeping weight on as an effect of the supplement, and that's the LAST thing I need.

He's working well, in good spirits, has a great appetite and shows no signs of nutritional distress. But I have to clean his butt every day and his blankets are a mess. Any ideas? I have some Yea-sacc I could use.

Regarding his weight, I'm wondering if I should abandon the SafeChoice altogether and switch to a light feed like Nutrena's LiteBalance or Triple Crown Lite. When he's in full work his weight looks healthy, but he's never been skinny and it's very easy for him to become chunky again.

Here's his current feed ration:
AM: 1 flake oat hay, 3/4lb SafeChoice, 1 scoop Platinum Performance, 1scoop Continuex daily wormer.

NOON: 1 flake alfalfa hay, 1 small bucket carrots (3x weekly).

PM: 2 flakes oat hay, 3/4lb SafeChoice, 1 scoop Platinum Performance, 1 scoop electrolytes (depending on weather & work).

I'm so confused about all the options. Help!

Where are you from? Los Angeles

How did you locate this forum? Referred by udbb.com

Re: Fat dressage horse with diarrhea. Help!

I forgot to mention that he lives in a 14x18 pipe corral and is turned out in a large dirt pasture for 1-2 hours every day.

Hello Savannah,

There are several causes of diarrhea. First, diarrhea can be caused by worm infestation, including encysted larvae which need to be eliminated by giving a 5 day double dose of fendbendazole (Panacur Power Pak). Also, diarrhea can be caused by a change in the diet, thereby affecting the bacterial flora. I recommend that you be consistent in your feeding and not give him many carrots -- first, because he would have to have them every day to keep his bacterial flora in good health. And, second, as an "easy keeper" he is likely somewhat insulin resistant and should not have carrots due to their high sugar content. A good treat to consider is Skodes Treats.

Stress can also cause diarrhea, so if he's not happy in his surroundings perhaps due to the loss of a buddy, a change in his environment, or the addition of another horse, this, too can affect the digestive track.

My first approach would be to try something called BioSponge -- here is the link: http://www.platinumperformance.com/animal/equine/products/productcategories/product.cfm?category_id=162 It's made by Platinum Performance and I am not able to carry their products on my website, but I recommend that you go to their website and see it this product helps. I've heard good things about it. And, I see that you're using Platinum Performance, so you're likely familiar with it.

I would also consider adding more B vitamins to his diet since he is not able to product enough on his own while he's experiencing this problem. And, the B vitamins will help reduce the inflammation in his digestive tract. Consider BPlex in addition to what you're feeding. Stay away from sunflower seeds -- they are high in omega 6 fatty acids and will increase inflammation.

So, those are a few suggestions. Please keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks so much, Dr. Getty. I'm going to try the biosponge. But first, I'm taking him back to hay only for a week to see if it's the oat or alfalfa that's the problem. If the oat is too rich, I was thinking of switching to bermuda.

Once I know about the hay, I was planning on adding the platinum performance on its own for a week, then the daily wormer. Assuming everything's OK, I'll add the biosponge. Does that sound like a good first step?

Also, the feeding is very consistent, with the exception of the carrots which I feed after I ride, but my trainer doesn't. So he gets them 3-4 times per week. I don't think I can afford to replace them with the treats you suggested--they're $60 for a 2lb tub, whereas the carrots are $25 per month for a weekly delivery of 25lbs.

Do you think I could get away with continuing to feed carrots if I cut the amount in half? I could share my weekly bag with a friend. Phox LOVES them so much!

Re. the worm infestation issue. Wouldn't that make him lose weight or condition? If not, do you think I should use the wormer you suggested immediately after the hay-only week?

Hi Savannah,

Bermuda hay is a much better choice for an insulin resistant horse, so go with that if you have it available. Oat hay is not at all nutritious and is also high in starch. So, avoid that one if possible.

The Skode's treats are certainly more expensive than carrots, but not as much as you mentioned. I believe you were looking at the combo price of more than one 2 lb tub. Nevertheless, an "easy keeper" should not have carrots because of their high sugar content. So, one carrot, once in a while -- but you really aren't doing your horse any favor, even though they are so well liked! Alfalfa cubes are fine as treats, broken into small pieces.

About the worming, most horses benefit from the Power Pak so the timing in not as significant. But, I would use the biosponge first and and see how that works before doing the worming.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO