Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
horse loosing weight

i have a friend with a quarter horse an she is 12 yrs old she eats like a pig an is loosing weight it seems that no matter we feed her she continues to looose weight this has been going on for awhile i suggested worming her an checking her stool for worms or those little white rice looking type worms haven't found any ! we are at a stand still an lost as what to do to get her weight back up her hind end is sunk in an ribs showing ! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated capt.neil

Where are you from? poplarville ms.

How did you locate this forum? from a friend

Re: horse loosing weight

Hello Capt. Neil,

Worming is a good place to start. She should be treated for tapeworms, so I suggest a combo product of Ivermectin and Prazaquantel.

I'm assuming her teeth have been floated recently? Poor teeth is the number one reason for weight loss.

On a more serious side, she could be suffering from Cushing's Disease, liver problems, or even cancer. So, I suggest you have your vet evaluate her.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO