Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Retired Thoroughbred Feeding Requirements

Dr. Getty we just adopted a thoroughbred who has been retired for approx. 3 years. She was a little under weight before we got her but she looks pretty good now. We were told to feed her 2 scoops of grain a day. 1 in am 1 in pm. She is out all day grazing with my other horse and 2 goats. I put them in every night. My other horse is a Tennesse Walker who could afford to lose a few pounds. I do not feed him the same as the Thoroughbred. I'm very confused on what and how much to give her. We only ride her approx. 2 to 3 times a week. Any advice you can give me will sure help. Thank You.

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? Internet

Re: Retired Thoroughbred Feeding Requirements

Hi Suzy,

Thank you for writing about your TB mare. Most horses that come off the track have ulcers, so it is best to feed them to help them heal and to prevent further damage. A diet that is high in starch (from cereal grains such as oats, barley, corn, wheat, etc.) will increase stomach acid. Therefore, it really is not the best approach.

Instead, find a low starch feed -- there are many on the market. Triple Crown, for example, has several from which to choose. Triple Crown Lite is a good choice since you don't have to feed as much to get a good amount of nutrients.

And, then provide her with a supplement to help her heal. Amiquell is excellent. It is a bit pricey and you have to wear gloves when using it, but it is such a marvelous product and well worth the money and effort. It has many worthwhile ingredients including licorice, slippery elm, fructoligosaccharides, and gamma oryzanol.

If you need assistance in formulating a diet for her, I'll be glad to assist you with a customized plan.

Enjoy!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO