Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
De-worming

I am looking for advice on 'to worm or not to worm". What are my options? i have just brought a horse to a new barn where they are on a daily dewormer, Strongid. I am not sure I want to do this, but the barn manager does it because she says manufacturer covers partial cost of any necessary colic surgeries should the horse colic while on the program....UGH. What to do?

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? good friend

Re: De-worming

Hi AJ,

Actually, a daily wormer is the safest way to go because you are providing a very small amount of dewormer each day, rather than a giving a large amount at one time every 2 months. Paste worming every 2 months is far more stressful to the horse and carries more risk of colic.

You'll still need to paste worm twice a year. In the spring, paste worm with ivermectin and prazaquantel for bots and tapeworms. And, in the fall, use just ivermectin.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO