Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Urine leakage, scald, scratches in elderly Mustang mare.

What supplements and topicals are best for my mare's problems. Vet says urine leakage due to scar tissue in bladder. Urine seems to have caused scratches on hind leg. I am currently cleaning with fungicide (Absorbine) spraying with Athelet's foot spray, coating with Furazone and wrapping loosely. Seems to be helping but can't continue with Furazone? What about long term. Is there anything to help with the leakage. She also now has curly coat and seems tired. She was lame due to scratches. She is over 25. She does have appetite and is not lame now.

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? Looking for horse advice on internet.

Re: Urine leakage, scald, scratches in elderly Mustang mare.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your patience in my getting to your question.

I'm not sure how your vet knows that there is scar tissue in her bladder. But, I would discuss with your vet the possibility of using the drug PPA (phenylpropanolamine) in horses. It is used successfully in dogs with this problem and may be useful for your mare.

I would discontinue using harsh drugs on her skin. Instead, keep her as clean as possible and use some Desitin ointment or even an udder balm to keep a barrier between her skin and the urine.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO