Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help with Cranky Dominant Mare

Hi Dr. Getty:

More trials and tribulations with Grace. Although the B-Plex has helped Grace be calmer, she is still a cranky girl. I don't know whether this is hormonal, something lacking in her diet or just her temperment, which is why I'm writing to you again.

Just to remind you of her pertinent background, she was turned out 24/7, except in the winter, with 3 other mares. She lived at her old home for at least 4 years. It took her about a year to settle in to her new home where she is the only mare and is turned out for about 10 hours. She is also ridden and handled more now.

She has always been periodically crabby, but I haven't managed to track her behavior to confirm that it is hormonal. I've addressed some of her quirks that seemed to be caused by pain from sore feet and muscles. I'm going to have a chiropractor visit her soon just to rule out any alignment issues. Now that all her known aches and pains have been treated, she seems to have added some nasty dominant behavior on the ground to her repertoire such as biting. The fact that she thinks she is dominant is obviously my fault because I haven't established my self as herd leader. I am herd leader in the saddle. I now know that I must be much firmer and appropriately reprimand her when she is out of line just as a dominant mare would. However, I want to make sure there is nothing else that she needs to make her happy.

She get 1 1/2 pounds of Poulin's 10/12 in the morning and 3 pounds in the evening. Her supplements are B-Plex and Corta-flx. She gets about 2/3 of a bale of hay per day, and is turned out on grass. She is ridden a maximum of five times a week in dressage with a trail ride in the woods when bugs, wild turkeys and weather allow. I did try her on Wendel's Herbs "Calmer" with no effect last year.

I look forward to any suggestions you might have.

Carole

Where are you from? Grafton, Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? Through my friend Suzanne

Re: Help with Cranky Dominant Mare

P.S. I'm wondering if perhaps an ulcer might be involved in her behavior. She has always been girthy and grooming her stomach really makes her unhappy. My vet thought she had the type of personality that could be ulcer-prone. She eats all of her grain and hay and drinks most of her bucket of water every night. Perhaps adding Ration Plus to her supplements would help?

Hi Carole,

Thanks for writing and I can feel your frustration through the air waves!

There are several things you can try and I would really like to set up a time to visit over the phone with you personally to go over her situation, if you are in agreement.

But, in the meantime, we can still do some hit and miss, trial and error approaches. You mentioned an ulcer and I really can't say that is the issue because I have several questions to ask you and need more information about her history to assess if this is a likelihood. But, if you feel that it may be, you could consider giving her Amiquell. This will be very helpful in alleviating her symptoms. It's not as easy to handle as Ration Plus but it is well worth it.

I don't see Ration Plus as a good option at this point, simply because you are already giving her B vitamins and Ration Plus helps the bacterial flora produce more of the B vitamins.

There is another product that you could consider called Mare Alleve. It has magnesium in it, which is very helpful along with chasteberry and raspberry. Take a look at the herbal product you used and see if it is similar. If it is, then there's no point in trying a different brand. But, the magnesium is important for behavior, so either Mare Alleve, or better yet, Quiessence, which is much more concentrated in magnesium.

So, those are a few suggestions based on what you've told me. If the commercial feed you're giving her has any cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, etc.), then I recommend stopping that feed since the high level of starch can aggravate an ulcer (causes more acid production). And, in some horses, the highs and lows of blood sugar levels caused by high starch diets, can also create mood swings.

So, let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thanks for your response.

I've decided to try the Quiessence first. If I don't see any improvement after a reasonable period, I will definitely set up a call with you to discuss Grace in more detail.

You are right about the frustration. I love this horse and I know I made the right choice in purchasing her for dressage. She is just a complicated female and constantly tests my horsemanship. She's the most mentally challenging horse I've ever owned. I guess it's a girl thing

I'll let you know how it goes.

Carole

Hi Carole,

Glad to give you some more "food for thought!" Please keep me posted!

Challenges are not always comfortable, but you sound like you are definitely up to this one! Keep up the fine work.

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thought I'd let you know that I think the Quiessence is doing the trick for Grace. Within 3 weeks she seemed more calm, and less tense and cranky. Even the dominant behavior subsided. Now I did work on re-establishing my dominance, but I don't think it would have worked so fast without the Quiessence. Of course, it is possible her behavior was hormonal as we're in that fall transition period, but I think the Quiessence really made the difference. So another problem solved by nutrition!

Thanks for your help, Dr. Getty. I hope you and your family, four-legged and otherwise, have a wonderful holiday season.

Carole

Where are you from? Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Hi Carole!

What an excellent report! I am so pleased to hear that the Quiessence has made a significant improvement in her demeanor. Oh, I'm sure your expertise had something to do with it, too! But, I expect that Quiessence contributed to her being better able to follow your instructions.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dr. Getty