Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What to Do????

I've recently got a thoroughbred mare who is at the moment grazing in a paddock pretty much all the time with two other horses at the place i got her from till i move her into agistment Its just pretty much grasses and on the odd occasion she gets a bit of hay. The new place she's going to i think is just a yard and a stable i'm not 100% sure if there's grass or not and plan on giving her hay. Should i give her any additional grains or feed? I'm just going to use her as a hack at this stage.

Where are you from? Geraldton, Western Australia

How did you locate this forum? Google Search

Re: What to Do????

Also she's just recently come of the racetrack

Where are you from? Geraldton, Western Australia

How did you locate this forum? Google Search

Re: What to Do????

Hello Alyce,

Thank you for your patience in my getting back to you.

Many people simply put their horses out on pasture and along with a salt block and water source, that's about it. And, the horses seem to manage. Well, for a while. The quality of the grass plays a major role, as well as the age and health of the horse. Even so, a supplement to fill in the gaps is worthwhile.

Hay, however, is not as nutritious as grass because it loses many vitamins during the drying and aging process. So, if you are going to be feeding just hay, it is even more important to supplement her diet with a good vitamin/mineral supplement.

Having just come of the race track, she very likely has an ulcer. Make certain that she has all the good quality hay she wants at all times. Chewing is what horses need to do most of the time to produce saliva, a natural antacid.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO