Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Equilix 50 from SweetPro Feeds

Hi Dr. Getty -
Background
I am writing about my 18 YO QH gelding. He is an easy keeper and his weight is just right for his size at 15h 1". He eats Neutrena Safe Choice (about 1.75 lbs 2 x day) and is in pasture all day and stall with run at night. He is fed a low sugar hay of mixed grasses such as Timothy/Orchard/Fescue 3 times daily (since pastures are bare due to drought in our area). He receives once daily lysine (just started 3 weeks ago due to a runny eye which just now appears to have cleared up), fast track, source and vet-flex. At times he will crib in his stall due to boredom so about 2 weeks ago I added an Equilix 50 to keep him occupied. It really seems to help and the first few days he ate some and now just licks it occasionally so he should have the same lick for months at this rate. Before I added the Equilix 50 he was always licking his salt block. I was trying to find a way to keep him occupied with something healthy and good for him rather than a molasses lick that are so pupular now.
My questions are about the Equilix 50. The product claims it is good for digestion and eyes and has many nutritional benefits. It has no starch, no sugar and no molasses. The product also claims it has minerals and vitamins.

Question 1: Can you please comment on this product?

Question 2: When offering this product is it okay to also give the horse a daily vitamin/mineral supplement?

Question 3: If you recommend against this product is there another lick product you would recommend?

Question 4: Could the flax in the Equilix 50 have helped clear up his runny eye or could it have been the lysine?

Thank you - Janet

Where are you from? South Carolina

How did you locate this forum? Friend recommended

Re: Equilix 50 from SweetPro Feeds

Hello - realize I am not Dr. Getty - I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I have used this product for over a year and have been very happy with it. I have used it on rehab horses (body and nutrition) and have had wonderful results, and regular horses with wonderful results. It is a complete vitamin and mineral supplement. The thing I really like about it is the way it is processed - all the nutrients are readily available when it goes into the body. Unlike most suppliments that are baked, most of the goods end up in the poop instead of in the body. It has a good combination of all ingredients (Vit A is high but they did studies and it is not anywhere close to toxix no matter how much they eat - they couldn't tell my why they didn't/wouldn't lower it..??). When I am working on rehab horses (depending on the problem) I will add extra Vit E (it is pretty low for any sort of rehab dose) and Magnesium if I want a little extra. I really like the suppliment (especially the ease of leaving it in your field)!!!! Thanks for letting me butt in...:o)

Where are you from? Oregon - BodyWork for Horses

How did you locate this forum? Going through some nutrition info and stumbled upon it :o)

Emily - Thank you so much for your feedback. You were not butting in at all and I am glad to know an equine professional is recommending this as a good product to use. Thanks again - Janet

Hello Janet and Emily,

If the Equilix is a vitamin/mineral supplement then you should not use it along with another similar supplement. The flax is very beneficial for the immune system and if he is experiencing allergies (hence, the runny eyes), flaxseed meal will help since it is high in omega 3 fatty acids.

Two things, however, are important to consider when you have a horse that is cribbing. The first is B vitamins -- these are necessary for the health of the nervous and digestive systems and BPlex can be added to more vitamin/mineral supplements without any problem. The second is magnesium. This mineral is very helpful for stress and related behaviors that result from stress. Most horses do not get enough and there isn't enough in most vitamin/mineral supplements. Therefore, adding Quiessence is a good idea.

If the ingredients to Equilix are on the internet, please send me the link and I will be happy to look at it to see if there is anything more I can add to my comments.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you, Dr Getty. Here is the link to the manufacturer's home page. If you scroll down the page you will see a pdf file for the Equilix 50. Click on the pdf link and you will see the brochure for the Equilix 50.

http://www.sweetpro.com/

I can tell you this horse is extremely sensitve and willing to p[lease to a fault. I am very interested in being sure I am supporting all of his nutritional needs but want to be sure not to overdo it.

Thank you - Janet

Dr Getty - Here is a direct link to the product with a lot more detailed information for analysis. The product does contain maganesium and b vitamins. My apology for not having it on the last post.

http://www.equipride.biz/product.aspx?id=2

Thanks - janet

Hi Janet,

Wellll, it has some nutrients but it really isn't a complete vitamin/mineral supplement after all. So, I still say that you wouldn't want to give another vitamin/mineral supplement with this due to potential overlaps, but your horse would do much better with a vitamin/mineral supplement that is more complete and also offers omega 3 fatty acids -- the one I like the best is Glanzen Complete because it is in a flaxseed meal base and provides support for feet, immune function, digestive function, and nervous system (high in B vitamins).

You would do much better for your horse by choosing Glanzen Complete and then replacing this lick with a plain, white salt lick to provide necessary sodium.

So, if you went with Glanzen Complete, you wouldn't need the BPlex I previously recommended. But, addtional magnesium (Quiessence) would still be helpful. There is only a small amount magnesium in this EquiLix50 product -- 2.5%. So, let's say he consumes 1 ounce per day. He'd be getting approximately 700 mg of magnesium. But, to be therapeutic, he would require 10,000 mg of magnesium (from 2 ounces of Quiessence).

Also, the vitamin E content is extremely low in EquiLix50 -- 350 IU per pound! He needs to have much, much more than that to be healthy.

So, these are but a few analyses that show me to suggest another product. I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty - Thank you for you response. I had already ordered the B-Plex from you (wonder how long it will take to ship?). Regarding the magnesium, I have been told that one of the vets near this area has removed stones from lots of horses due to the horses being fed magnesium. I was told the maganesium in the Equilix 50 was too high and could cause stones (I live in SC near Charlotte NC). I am so very uneducated on what the "stones" are and if magnesium can casue stones. Can you please comment on this. I am very confused and want to make the correct decision.
Thank You - Janet

Hi Janet,

The issue of enteroliths is certainly a concern but most horses do not get enough magnesium in their diet and magnesium from forages is poorly absorbed.

I copied, below, a response that I made previously to a similar question that I thought you'd find helpful:

"Enteroliths are generally caused by a diet that causes the pH of the hind gut to become to high (alkaline). The presence of magnesium can also lead to enteroliths, when combined with high levels of phosphorus. Too much protein can also be problematic.

Genetics also plays a large role in the development of these stones. So, it's not just magnesium.

For example, I have seen enteroliths in horses that are fed diets that contain more than half their forage from alfalfa. This is because of the high protein content of alfafa. Some alfalfa can be a wonderful addition to most horse diets, but too much can be problematic.

Quiessence is a magnesium supplement that is beneficial for those horses that need more due to insulin resistance or for nervous system issues. If the diet is high in alfalfa, it is best to cut back on this type of hay while feeding a magnesium supplement. Also, excess phosphorus can contribute to the dangerous mix, so bran should be eliminated from the diet, since it has a great deal of phosphorus (and very little calcium).

The other thing to consider is the amount of calcium in the diet. There should be more calcium than magnesium or at least an equal amount, but magnesium should not exceed calcium intake.

In a horse that is prone toward enteroliths, I like to recommend the following:

1. Cut down on alfalfa.
2. Eliminated bran
3. Exercise keeps the gastrointestinal tract in good shape.
4. Try to lower the pH of the hind gut either through adding some apple cider vinegar to the diet or, if the horse can tolerate it, a small amount of grain.
5. Keep fiber levels high to keep the intestines moving -- all the grass hay they want, plus, adding some psyllium to the diet for a few days each month, will also increase bulk.
6. Plenty of water, which is of special concern as the weather gets colder. Water supplies should be temperature controlled and not go below 50 degrees (Farenheit) so horses will drink enough."

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. Your BPlex is on its way and expected to arrive by the 15th. So, since you're giving B Plex, I would still recommend Glanzen Complete, just at 4 ounces per day instead of 6 and only one scoop of BPlex.

Please read/post/print our testimonial regarding equilix for my Crabbet/Blunt Arabian. A new horse with better health.
http://cochranefarms.googlepages.com/home

Where are you from? Broomfield Colorado

How did you locate this forum? Equilix sharing reports

Hello Valorie,

I don't doubt the veracity of the testimonial for EquiLix. What I take issue with are the low vitamin E content and the iron content. Horses need much more vitamin E than what is in EquiLix and iron is not necessary because forage is already very high in this mineral.

This is very typical of many supplements which is why I often suggest adding vitamin E to "supplement th supplement."

Thank you for sharing,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr.Getty,
Please share with me a vitamin E supplement that you recommend. I do not feed grain and sometime occasiobnal beet pulp. Will the vitamin E be easy to administer? Talk to you soon. Valorie Cochrane

Where are you from? Broomfield Colorado

How did you locate this forum? Equilix sharing reports

Hello Volarie,

If your hay is sufficient in selenium, you can provide a supplement that just contains vitamin E such as E5000 or SuPer E Natural. Some areas of Colorado are high in selenium, so check this out.

If, however, you need additional selenium, go with SuPer E/Se Natural. It is well balanced providing 1 mg of Selenium and 2000 IU of natural vitamin E.

All the best,

Dr. Getty