Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Do I need to add more

I feed Nutrena Triumph 10% pellets, mostly 2nd cutting alfalfa, and supplement with Calf Manna or Animax. My horses grain consumption is about 11-12 pounds a day and pretty much all the hay they will consume without wasting it, usually ~25 pounds. All four horses live primarily oustide except in nasty winter weather, are worked regulary in the summer and fall (they are lead ponies at the racetrack)and ridden recreationally in the winter. They are wormed regular scedule and are in good body condition. My question is: Do you think their nutrional needs are being met, or do I need to supplement with anything?

Where are you from? New Jersey

How did you locate this forum? web

Re: Do I need to add more

Hi Denise,

First thing that comes to mind is that you're feeding very large meals. Meal size for the average 1000 lb horse should not exceed 4 lbs (and less is better). So, by feeding 11-12 pounds per day, I hope you're feeding 3 meals -- the risk of colic is high if you're feeding too much.

Calf Manna is made for cows, not horses. It is very high in starch and is not the best for horses.

You're doing very well with the hay -- add some grass hay to the alfalfa so they don't get more than 50% alfalfa, if possible.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO