Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
prefer pellets

Hi, I tried the Accel Lifetime for my horses and I think it has been a good supplement but 2 of my 4 horses do not eat the powder very well. Sometimes it just gets left in bottom of bowl. Is there a pelleted supplement that is comparable in both ingredients and price? I hate to waste money on a supplement that they don't eat. Thanks, Dianne

Where are you from? tx

Re: prefer pellets

Hi Dianne,

Try moistening their meal so the powder can be mixed together with the feed and cling to it. Let me know if that helps.

There are other supplements that are pelleted, but they will not have the Glutasyn portion that protects the immune function that Accel Lifetime has.

So, keep me posted and see how the addition of water or a small amount of apple juice works.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

WEll, it worked, they are eating it all now, I was just being lazy and didn't want to add the step of wetting their feed, but I got over it. They are all doing well, thanks to your advice, except I have one, Chaser, who is very internal emotionally, very right brained, introvert (have you had a chance to become informed about Pat and Linda Parelli?), so I think I will start him on Quiessence. He tends to be obese , very slow metabolism, but internally very uptight. No other physical signs of insulin resistance, like my other horse Pistol. (Pistol is doing great with IR now, he isn't even the same horse now). Thanks again for all your advice, DF

Hi Dianne,

Excellent! Isn't it wonderful when a simple change makes a lot of difference?

I have a right-brained horse (Parelli term, as you mentioned) and Quiessence is helpful both for behavior and of course, insulin resistance. So, keep me posted on how it is helping.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO