Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My horse has severe laminitis

Greetings Stacey,

Thank you for your patience in my getting to your situation. I hope that your horse continues to improve.

The key in feeding for laminitis is to reduce sugar and starch levels as much as possible. This means, no molasses or cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, wheat, etc), or sugary treats such as carrots and apples. So, check the feed that you're using for these items and choose instead, one that does not contain cereal grains or sweetening agents.

Also, you are in the spring season, which means that the grasses may be rich in fructans. Take a look at this website: www.safergrass.org -- I think you'll find it very helpful.

It's important to feed as much forages (hay and/or pasture) as he wants. So, have your hay analyzed for sugar and starch levels to ensure that's it's safe to feed. If not, you should soak it to remove the excess sugars.

And finally, see if you can find a magnesium supplement. He should have 4,000 mg per 100 kg of body weight.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO