Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding 5yr old clydesdale mare(former brood)

I have just purchased this mare. I am concerned about her proper feeding. She has a bit of a cresty neck and she has lost 1 foal within the last year. She has been moved three times within the last 12 months.

Where are you from? Lebec CA

How did you locate this forum? search on internet

Re: feeding 5yr old clydesdale mare(former brood)

Hello Patty,

Thank you for writing about your mare. Draft horses are particularly prone toward insulin resistance. So, the first thing you should add is additional magnesium and chromium to her diet to reduce circulating insulin levels. Quiessence is the product of choice in this situation.

Also, make sure that she is not being fed any sweet feeds or feeds that are high in starch (containing cereal grains such as oats, corn, barley, etc.).

I hope this will get you started. I do offer phone consultations where I can go into detail regarding her situation. I would evaluate her history, diet, medical interventions, activity level, and environment, to provide you with a customized feeding plan. So, if you would find this helpful, please consider setting up an appointment.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO