Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
supplement question/flax

Dr Getty, I have a question regarding flax seed and your product Nutra Glo

I have: a 21yoa with some dermatitus on his rear legs, and his first mild bout with colic as the weather turned cold, 22 yoa easy keeper, 7 yoa easy keeper, and 6 yoa with dermatitus in the area of her front cinch, otherwise, easy keeper. All QH and not ridden for the winter months ahead & fed separately.

They are currently on Alfalfa/Grass hay, 2oz Horse Guard (vitamins), 1 cup rice bran meal (recommended for regularity?) and 2 (21yoa and 7yoa) are given 2oz of Cool 100 Calories for a little additional weight maintain.

Im interested in giving flax seed especially for the 2 with dermatitus issues. My vet recommended 2-4oz of ground flax seed but then I saw Nutra Glo and was wondering "if this could be given with what I am giving now safely?" I like the shelf life and easiness of the product.

Thanks Traci

Where are you from? Spokane, WA

How did you locate this forum? google looking for answers to q's

Re: supplement question/flax

Hi Traci,

Yes, I believe Nutra Flax (this is the flaxseed meal product I recommend) would be an excellent addition to provide omega 3 fatty acids for their skin. For a two-fold approach, I would also put a topical preparation called M-T-G on the affected areas.

Nutra Flax will go very well with what you are feeding since it is pure flaxseed meal with no added ingredients (except calcium to balance out the calcium to phosphorus ratio).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I am currently waiting for my 40lb nutraflax thanks so much and have really enjoyed all the other posts and learned a few things!!

Where are you from? spokne

Hi Traci,

You're most welcome! Any time!!

Happy Holidays,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO