Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
16 yr gelding w/ulcers

I have a 16yr old QH gelding who been diagnosed w/gastric ulcers. I use this fella for barrel racing. In the last yr or so I have had a moderate problem w/keeping his weight on him, especially in the winter. Can you please recommend what to feed him to maintain weight and stamina for the racing. Thank you

Where are you from? texas

How did you locate this forum? surfing net

Re: 16 yr gelding w/ulcers

Have you treated the ulcers yet?

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS

YES THE VET HAS TREATED THE ULCERS BUT NOT THE HARD KEEPER PART. I WAS TOLD BY PREVIOUS OWNERS NOT TO FEED CORN, SO I AM NOT. HAVE HIM ON OATS, W/MEDS VET PRESCRIBED AND 1/2 ALFALFA AND 1/2 GRASS HAY AT HIS LEISURE. BUT, DOES NOT MAINTAIN WT. ESPECIALLY IN WINTER.

Where are you from? TEXAS

How did you locate this forum? SURFING WEB

My horse has had some weightand energy issues, too. The vet told me that I should add Purina's Ultium to his diet, because Ultium is very high calorie. He said it takes about 16,000 calories a day to maintain a stalled horse, and that hay doesn't have enough calories. I doubt the oats do either. You might try Ultium, or maybe something like a rice bran. There are several of those products on the market. I'm having good luck with 5 lbs Ultium, 5 lbs alfalfa pellets, and about 12-15 lbs of coastal hay,split into 2 feedings, on a horse that is in training. I stay away from sweet feed, not only because Dr Getty advises against it, but because the vet said that would cause lactic acid build up in the muscles and fatigue my horse more rapidly.

I might add that my horse nibbles all day, so it takes him several hours to finish a meal. He usually has something left from the morning meal when he's given his dinner. If he were a hearty eater, I would split it into three feedings.

Hi Missy,

Thanks for writing about your horse and his situation (and thank you, Pam, for your good advice).

The first thing you'll want to do is to remove starchy feeds from his diet -- those that contain cereal grains such as oats, corn, or barley. And, those that contain molasses. These increase stomach acid. So, go with a low starch feed. Pam suggested Purina Ultium which is fine. I also like the Triple Crown low starch products.

You'll want to help his ulcer heal and traditional methods involve the use of medication that "turns off the acid producing machinery" in the horse's gut. This is not a good idea for the long term because acid is very important for keeping your horse healthy. Horses pick up all kinds of bacteria, virus, and parasites when they graze off the ground and the stomach acid kills most of these. So, I would strongly recommend that you consider AmiQuell to help the ulcer heal.

Regarding his weight -- adding two supplements would make a significant difference:
1) Ration Plus -- this will boost the health of the very necessary bacterial flora that live in the hind gut. They are responsible for deriving calories from forages and without a healthy bunch of these, your horse cannot gain weight.

2)Hard Keeper -- this is a fat supplement that is high in omega 3 fatty acids. Not only will this reduce inflammation, but will also provide additional calories from fat. Fat has more than twice the calories than carbohydrates or protein, so feeding more starchy feed will not increase his weight.

I hope this is helpful. Please consider setting up a phone visit if you are still having difficulty getting him back to health.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO