Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding and turnout

Hello Dr Getty
I have just purchased a 5 year old oldenburg mare and she is turned out for 8 hours a day. I would like to know if she should have any breakfast prior to turning out or should I just give her hay in the field and when she comes in at night she is groomed and fed her dinner and then her hay before we leave her for the night. My mare is 16.3hh and at the moment we are settling her in and she will be ridden for 1/2 hr to 1hr every day but that will not be for another couple of weeks as we are waiting for the saddle to be corrected fitted. So I am looking to do the right thing for her regarding her feeding at night she is having Baileys mix with chaff and outshine supplement as awell as hay and carrots. We also have a slat lick block in her stable Thank you do much for your help in this matter.

Where are you from? essex uk

How did you locate this forum? searching the internet on equine nutrition

Re: feeding and turnout

Hello Tracey,

Sounds like you are doing a fabulous job of taking care of her!

There's no need for "breakfast" first thing in the morning. Just hay is all she'll need. And, she certainly needs to have hay (and/or pasture) at all times since horses' digestive systems are designed to be have forage in them 24/7. They are trickle feeders and graze all day and night long. So, you're doing the right thing.

You can feed her the meal and supplements any time of day, just try to be consistent in the timing so she can expect her meal each day around the same time.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO