Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fly dermatitis

I have a 4 year old appendix mare. In the summer she gets extremely itchy on her belly. She will lay down and just scratch her belly untill the hair is gone. I keep her in during the day and out at night with a fly sheet on. The vet says she is prob. allergic to flys. I have given her glanzin lite, but do you think Nutra flax would work better for her? Her stomach looks ugly in the summer. Thank you very much.

Where are you from? PA

Re: fly dermatitis

Hello Sherry,

Glanzen Lite is a wonderful supplement and already is flaxseed meal-based, so you wouldn't need Nutra Flax. However, she may require additional assistance for her itching. Here are a few suggestions:

-- Do you clean her udder regularly? The build up on waxy material between her teats can cause great discomfort. Rinse her with warm water and remove the excess secretions at least once each month.

-- If she has an allergy, consider giving her additional vitamin B1 to help repel insect stings. It's use for repelling insects is strictly anecdotal and not scientific, but I have found that it is helpful. Another "home remedy" that I have had good results with is adding apple cider vinegar to the water -- 1/2 cup per 10 gallons.

-- She may also benefit from additional Vitamin C during the months when the insects are a problem. But, with vitamin C, you should wean her off of it, when you discontinue its use. Pure C is what I recommend. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine and reduces the itching caused by the production of histamines during an allergic response.

-- There is a topical preparation called M-T-G that is fabulous for skin conditions and I really think that she would benefit from its use. Click on the name to get to more information.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO