Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bark

I'm curious as to why would horses would eat bark? I'm assuming they must be lacking in some nutrient needed. I have 3 horses, all of which are in no way lacking in feed. However, I've noticed them eating bark from branches that are in a pile from tree's that were fallen on our property.
They haven't been used much in the this past year, as we've recently moved and have been finishing building the barn & shop, so all of our time this past spring, summer, and fall, was spent building on our place. So I'm sure they are bored to death. The one good note is that they have a rather steep hill to travel between the lower pasture and the barn/upper pasture where they are fed morning and evening. So they are getting a little exercise traveling between the two locations several times a day.

Where are you from? Washington

How did you locate this forum? google search on horse nutrition

Re: bark

Hi Marta,

You're probably correct in your assessment of why they're eating bark -- it's mostly due to boredom. But, there could be more to it than that. Horses also need to chew -- in a natural setting, they chew on tree limbs and bark to wear down their growing teeth -- "natural floating" if you will.

So, this is a harmless habit and you need not be concerned as long as they are not nibbling on red maple, walnut, or oak trees.

It can also be due to a mineral deficiency, in particular, magnesium. Most horses do not get enough of this mineral and it is unfortunately, poorly absorbed from hay.

And, finally, it may be due to their seeking sodium. A plain white salt lick is essential to their wellbeing since forage and pasture do not provide enough sodium.

Thanks so much for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your reply! This helps and settles my concerns. Their salt block has desolved with the rains so I'll get a new one out there for them right away. Also, I've never had their teeth floated so I might need to get them in to have it done, the two older horses are 11 & 12 yrs. Thank you again!

Where are you from? Washington

How did you locate this forum? google search on horse nutrition

Hi Marta,

Glad to help. Ah yes -- horses need to have their teeth floated at least once a year (some horses need it done more often). Their teeth grow and can develop sharp points that dig into their tender mouth tissues, making it painful to eat.

Happy Floating!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO