Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
mare in foal

Hi,i have a mare 8 months preg.she is feed alf,and forage hay,am and pm.also she gets a supplement by purina,i have put in a pasture for her of rye grass and orchard grass,how long can she be on the pasture a day?i have been letting her on gradual,she is up to 1hr how long does she need to do this before i can leave her there most of the day? thank you for any info.

Where are you from? calif.

Re: mare in foal

Hi Judy,

Congratulations! You're feeding appropriately and as long as she has is not prone toward laminitis, you can keep her on pasture as much as you're able to do so.

During these last three months of pregnancy, she will gain about 1/2 pound per day, so her feed intake will increase. Give her approximately 30% alfalfa/70% grass (pasture or hay) and a good supplement designed to meet the needs of a pregnant mare.

A plain white salt lick is also very important, and lots of water.

You may also find the book, The Complete Foaling Manual to be very helpful. It's not a nutrition book, but instead, a guide to taking care of your mare during her delivery, what to look for that's normal and what's not normal, and how to take care of the newborn foal during the first few hours after birth.

Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: mare in foal

THANK YOU DR GETTY.

Where are you from? calif.