Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
udder developement

Hi,i was also wondering when should you see change in the size of the teats??my mare is 8months and i have noticed that her teats are bigger than even a week ago they look rounder,is it to early for her to start an developement??This is her first foal and mine.i love her and worry,Thanks again for any info.

Where are you from? calif.

Re: udder developement

Hi Judy,

This is where the book I recommended, The Complete Foaling Manual, will be extremely helpful to you. There are many photographs to refer to, along with explanations that are easy for everyone to understand.

Each mare is different in her teat development, and at 8 months, she is not nearly as big as she is going to get!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

THANK YOU DR GETTY,I WILL READ THAT BOOK.

Hi Judy,
I don't think Dr.Getty will mind me jumping in here. Your first and your mare's first baby...how wonderful.
I hope you have been feeding her proper nutrition and keeping her up to date on her vaccinations, especially her Rhino vaccinations (Phenumabort) at 3,5,7,9 months and 30 days before she foals, she should get her last rhino and all the other vaccinations recommended for your area...including West Nile.
Judy, if she is beginning to make a bag (udder development) at 8 months, and you are certain about her due date, please have her checked by your vet. It's too soon for any mare to begin bagging up at 8 months...she still has another 3 months to go. I do not want to scare you, just inform you that something may be amiss.
Being her first foal, generally, maiden mares do not show a very large bag (but always have plenty of milk, so don't worry about that)...so atch her carefully.
And, when her time comes, be there...if you don't want to get up during the night to check her, get a barn camera...they can be life savers, I know from experience...she'll probably drive you crazy with the wait, but it's sooooooo worth it.
Best of luck.

Where are you from? Wyoming

Hi Joanie,

Barn cameras are a great idea for those mares that are kept stalled. And, a vet exam is always a good idea, especially when there appears to be something abnormal about the mare's pregnancy.

I have seen maiden mares get enlarged bags early in their pregnancy, but to the novice, it appears to be very large, when in fact, the "bagging up" is yet to occur. But, yes -- a truly large bag, as you very correctly stated, is not normal. So, without actually being there, it's difficult to assess the level of change, hence the book I recommended.

I know that you have extensive experience in this field your input is very valuable.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr.Getty,
Nice to be able to give my two cents worth...I did have maiden mares, and none ever had any real udder development as soon as 8 months. I do hope Judy buys that book...and pronto...and reads these posts.
It would be very helpful if she could post a couple of photos of her mares udder.
But, with a maiden mare, better to be safe....

HI JOANIE,YES DICE IS GETTING ALL THE BEST NUTRIENTS SHE NEEDS,SHE IS ALSO GETTING ALL HER SHOTS FROM THE VET EVERY THING BY THE BOOK,SHE DOES NOT HAVE A BAG YET ITS JUST HER NIPPLES HAVE GOT BIGGER AND SOME SWELLING JUST IN FRONT OF THEM,I HAD HER LOOKED AT AND ALL IS WELL WITH HER,THE VET WILL BE BACK FEB 15 FOR HER 9 MONTH SHOT.SHE IS GETTING HER 30% ALFALFA AND ALL THE ORCHARD GRASS SHE WANTS ALSO SHES PUT OUT ON PASTURE A FEW HRS ADAY. DR GETTY GAVE ME HER FEEDING AMOUNTS.THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION,WE ARE FOLLOWING THAT EXACT SCHEDUALE.

Judy,
That is good news. Sounds like you are staying ontop of things and that Dice is doing fine.
Dr.Getty is the nutrition expert, but I will add one thing... it would be a good idea to have your alfalfa hay analyzed for it's content. Alfalfa hay can have too much calcium, Dr.Getty could explain this better, but you really have to be aware of the mineral balance of what you are feeding her. If the calcium and phosphorus is not balanced correctly, her foal may develope contracted tendons. So you have to know what's in that hay so you can, if necessary, adjust her feed accordingly.
Every mare is different, I know from experience, and you can feed 5 mares the exact same things, and one of those mares will retain too much cal or phos, pass it to her foal, and you have a problem. You may already be aware of this, but can't hurt to mention it.
Also, the more time Dice spends outside during the day, the better...you might consider, weather permitting, letting her stay out all day. Moving around a lot, even just walking around her paddock or pasture is the best thing for her and baby.
Bet you are getting excitied...good luck.

HI JOANIE ,THANKS FOR THAT.I PUT DICE OUT FOR MOST OF THE DAY THE OTHER DAY BUT IT WAS TO MUCH FOR HER BECAUSE SHE ENDED UP HAVEING COW PIES,SO I WILL MAKE SURE SHE HAS GRASS HAY ALL DAY,I PUT HER OUT IN THE ARENA SO SHE CAN LOOK AROUND OR I TAKE HER FOR WALKS WHEN THE WEATHER IS GOOD.YES IAM GETTING VERY EXCITED AND WORRIED AT THE SAME TIME.

RE: leaky udders

We just bought our mare this past Thanksgiving. She is 5 yrs old and had a foal in 2006. I was grooming her one day and hit her ***** which caused a squirt of liquid. On further exam I found that her ***** were quiet full and her sack was crusty and brown. I cleaned her and put udder cream on her but to date the fluid has not dried up. Will she ever dry up or will this be a constant condition?

Where are you from? North Carolina

How did you locate this forum? google

Vickie,
As long as she is healthy and she has no 'bag', I wouldn't worry. I have a mare that leaked milk for years after her last foal was born...in fact, she passed away at age 33 and even at that age, she dripped milk.
Dr.Getty might want to add something.

Hi Vicki,

I would recommend that you contact www.completefoalingmanual.com where you can discuss this type of question with Theresa Jones, author of The Complete Foaling Manual.

My area of expertise is Nutrition and your concern is out of the realm of my ability to adequately assist you.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi all,
I just wanted to give my two cents. The Complete Foaling Manual is a MUST HAVE book. It gives pictures of what the udders should look like, what each stage of labor looks like and what it looks like if something is going wrong. It also gives you advice for when things are going wrong... (which isn't very often.) After your foal is born the book takes you step by step what should happen when. My mare had her fist foal in 2006 and I was soooooooo glad I had the book. It's exciting, scary, and wonderful all at once!! I counted each and every day and I was fortunate enough to be there when her foal was born......... agh, what an experience!!!!
We'll be looking forward to your announcement!!!! When is she due?
Lynette

Thank you Lynette! Your description of The Complete Foaling Manual is accurate and surely is a must-have for anyone whose mare is pregnant -- especially for those who have little experience with foaling. It will make the reader wise, indeed!

Dr. Getty