Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mare in foal

Hi Dr Getty, I'm so excited about finding this site. The first time I was on it I could hardly pull myself away! Thank You so much for providing this for us!

I have a mare who is in foal for the first time, she is 14 yrs old and she is 8 months along. I was reading about the 24/7 grass hay feeding (it makes perfect sense), is it ok to do that now with her. Her diet has been about half alfalfa and half orchard hay. I also was going to give her platnium for a supplement. I've been feeding her 3 to 4 times a day.
Also what about the beet pulp? Should I give it to my mare? There seems to be alot of people that use it and I'm not familar with it.

Again thank you so much!
Lorna

Where are you from? Santa Ynez CA

How did you locate this forum? Judy referred me (she just posted her first question on 1/17/08

Re: Mare in foal

Hi Lorna,

Glad to help -- Congratulations to you, too!

Yes, pasture 24/7 is ideal and I prefer a little less alfalfa to grass -- 30 percent alfalfa, 70 percent grass is best.

She will need more to eat, and beet pulp is an excellent choice since it is safely digested, and doesn't predispose the unborn foal to osteopathic disorders that can be caused by too much starch and sugar in the diet of a pregnant mare. You'll need to soak it since feeding it dry can cause choke in some horses. And, to this, add your vitamin/mineral supplement according to directions. Platinum Performance is fine. I also like Mare/Foal IIP because it is specifically designed for the pregnant mare (and the growing foal).

As I mentioned to Judy, the book, The Complete Foaling Manual is a must-have resource for humans going through the foaling experience!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO