Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Laminex

Hi Dr. Getty,

I purchased my first horse (life-long dream, kids are grown) May/2007 and mid-June he foundered with a 4% rotation. He's boarded, no indication of what caused the founder. He's a 13 year old National Show Horse who's previous owner (for 3 years) said it had never happened during her ownership. He's a sweetheart, dealt with the stall rest amazingly well. I started him on Laminex from you about a month or so after the founder, but on a maintenance dose. I talked about this with the barn manager. We didn't talk to the vet about it, just did it. He has done SO well! Everyone is impressed and thrilled. I just got back on him the beginning of December (after hand walking and trotting) and we're taking it slow and easy. The farrier thought he had a cresty neck when I got him, not so much now. The vet has never said anything about his neck. Finally--my question: should I continue with the Laminex on a maintenance dose? That is the only supplement he gets, he's on Carb Guard feed, he gets turned out for a little while each day in an outdoor arena with no grass. When the weather permits I hand graze him for about 15 minutes. Oh, and could an occasional carrot hurt him? Thanks for your help!

Molly

Where are you from? Wexford, PA

How did you locate this forum? Purchasing Laminex

Re: Laminex

Hi Molly,

I'm so pleased to hear that he has recovered and is doing well. Yes, keep him on the Laminex to provide additional magnesium and antioxidants as a preventive. Once a horse experiences laminitis, it is far more likely that he'll endure another attack.

It is very important to give him all the hay he wants since horses' digestive systems are designed for grazing 24/7. If he goes hours without eating, this is painful because the stomach produces acid 24/7 and he needs the forage to keep the motility of his intestines working and also to provide chewing. Chewing is very important because it produces saliva, which is a natural antacid.

And, going without feed is stressful, very stressful. This results in the release of the stress hormine, cortisol. And, when you raise cortisol, you make the horse insulin resistant. And insulin resistance leads to, guess what? Laminitis!

I know you didn't mention how much hay you're feeding and you may already be giving him all he wants -- but I thought I would provide this input just in case, and for my readers.

As far as carrots go -- this is not a good idea if he is at all insulin resistant. And, the cresty neck indicates that this was the problem. So, how 'bout giving him a safe treat? Skode's Treats has several from which to choose that are wonderful for horses like your fellow.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you, Dr. Getty!

I'll keep him on the Laminex. I didn't know if this was the best route at this point in time, or if another supplement would be better. I am truly convinced that the Laminex was an important part of his successful recovery!

As to the hay, the barn where I board feeds 3 flakes for breakfast, 1 for lunch, and 3 for dinner. He gets the Carb Guard morning and night. Having hay available 24/7 sounds so sensible. He always seems hungry, especially since the vet cut him back so extremely dramatically right after the founder, I'm sure he was starving. It broke my heart that at that time a handful of hay was a treat to him. His food has been very gradually increased over the last 6 months. I don't know how having hay available 24/7 would go over at my barn, even if I paid extra. They may be worried about setting a precident. Does it matter that the hay would be in his stall since he doesn't get a ton of turnout? I understand that he shouldn't be turned out on grass. Also, would that affect the amount of Carb Guard that he should be fed?

Thank you so much for your help. Six months of nursing him back to health has made me very attached to this boy!

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Molly,

I hope you're successful in getting your fellow all the hay he needs. And, yes, you can feed it in his stall. Turnout is very helpful for him, if possible, at the safer times of day, during the early morning hours.

This time of year, of course, there is little grass to be concerned about.

Carb Guard can be fed according to directions, so a 1000 lb horse at maintenance can receive .25 lbs per 100 lbs of body weight -- so that's 2.5 lbs per day.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks so much, Dr. Getty! I will keep you posted.

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? google