Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Older horse with allergies & copd

Hello! I have an oder (20 ish)draft cross who suffers from what appear to be seasonal allergies/COPD. Throughout the warm weather he will cough and at times his nostrils are flared and red at rest. The vet has examined him twice and doesn't find it to be extreme, but there are days when he just can't be worked. (Coughing, wheezing upon light exertion.)This winter weather is GREAT--he seems 10 years younger!

He is stalled at night, on pasture all day if he chooses. I feed beet pulp & local grass hay. He does tend to be overweight and I'm working hard to condition him as best I can, but if he can't breathe that compromises the goal! It seems like he just has good days and bad days, and I can't figure out the triggers. Heat definitely aggravates it, but this fall when the wet leaves were down he had some trouble, too.

I have tried steriods and bronchodialors with some moderate success, but I don't feel those are good long term choices and they didn't really give him total comfort. I've tried several herbal supplements, spirulina, and DMG. All with little to no results.

I typically keep him on a commercial hoof supplement and I recently added Source to his diet.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions or tips.

Thank you very much!

Melissa

Where are you from? Pocono Mts, PA

How did you locate this forum? google search

Re: Older horse with allergies & copd

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for writing and I'm sorry to hear about your horse's respiratory problems. They do sound like allergies since they are seasonal. Allergy testing may be a good idea because there are situations where horses are allergic to common feedstuffs such as alfalfa or flaxseeds. And, if that happens to be the case, your commercial ration may contain these things (or something else that he is allergic to) and you may be continually causing him to have a reaction, without ever intending to.

Regarding supplementation, additional antioxidants are extremely helpful for this type of situation, in particular vitamin C, which acts as a natural antihistamine. PreOx is worth considering for this situation in the meantime while you have his alleric responses tested.

I hope this is helpful.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Ok, I'm getting ready to order Pre Ox but I also need a hoof supplement for this guy. Do I need to be concerned about 'overdosing' on things like Methionine and Lysine. I know to be careful of Selenium.

I'm looking at Master's Hoof Blend since I'd also get the probiotics there.

Would Reitsport or any of the Glanzens give him the same antioxidents ast Pre-Ox. (Since they also address hoof, etc would they be a better, though more expensive choice?)

In short, my concerns for him are 1.) Allergies. 2.) Hoof--he has BAD feet but a basic supplement has helped tons. 3.) Maybe some joint support, though he never seems lame, I figure as a preventative measure, why not?

Thanks.

Melissa

Where are you from? Pocono Mts PA

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Melissa,

I see that you ordered the Master's Hoof Blend and PreOx, along with Ration Plus. All of these are fine and go well together. The Glanzen products are not as high in antioxidants as PreOx but close.

For his joints, I would highly recommend Actiflex Senior. I give this to my older fellow and it works very, very well.

The only thing I would add, if necessary, is extra Vitamin C -- but try what you have first and see how his respiratory situation does.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO