Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Weed-seed free feeds and forages

Hi Dr Getty, I'm planning a riding vacation to Colorado this year and have learned that certified weed-seed free forage and feeds are required. Friends tell me they have replaced the hay with complete pelleted feed to meet this requirement. I feel a horse needs at least SOME real hay, so I really hope I can find a place to buy some when I get there, but what else should I do? My mare is IR and I feed Buckeye Safe and Easy pellet, Quiessence, and Nutra Flax. What is a good complete feed that is low starch, that will be legal there in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park? Any and all tips on how to do this will be MUCH appreciated.
Thank You,
Debbie

Re: Weed-seed free feeds and forages

Hi Debra,

I would suggest continuing with what you're feeding and see if you can obtain Triple Crown Grass Forage. This is bagged hay, and I believe it is certified wee-free. Here is the link: http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/grass.php

Have a wonderful trip!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Debra,
You didn't say where you live. Dr. Getty's suggestion to buy the bagged hay is great, but depending on where you live, you can also check the classifieds for folks selling baled weed free hay...it should be available to you. It's usually baled with a special twine. When you open a bale, keep the twine.
Hope this helps in case you can't get the bagged hay.

Where are you from? Wyoming

Thank you Joanie, for the excellent suggestion.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi, Sorry so long in getting back here. I appreciate your suggestions. I decided it might be a bad idea for me to use the Triple Crown grass forage, as it's sprayed with molasses to keep the dust down, and my mare is IR. I found out there is no one close to me to buy weed-free forage from, as I live in East Central Missouri. I got a listing of weedfree hay producers in CO by emailing the CO dept of Agrig. I'll have better luck just getting it once I get there. I know it'll be awful expensive! I'm going to find and have shipped to me some weed-free hay cubes (timothy/alfalfa) to start my horse on before we leave, so at least the WHOLE forage component of her diet isn't suddenly changed when we get there. So I sort of have a plan now. Now I need some cool saddlebags...
Debbie

Where are you from? Missouri

How did you locate this forum? recommended on a message board

Sounds like everything is under control, Debra. If weed free hay prices in CO are about the same as here in WY., you'll pay no more than $5.00 per bale.
Good luck and have a wonderful, incredible time on your trip. If you've never been to the Rockies, you are in for a treat!!