Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
conditioned water

Greetings Dr. Getty, Its me again... My herd of three are doing well, We installed a water conditioner/softener today. It softens water by using salt tablets, but doesnt cause water to be salty. We have a well other wise. My quistion is, can or should the horses drink the conditioned water, as it removes disolved solids and minerals, metals ect. Or should I continue to have them drink well water? I had planned to transition them over to just conditioned water. Please tell me your thoughts. Thank you, Rhonda

Where are you from? houston Texas

How did you locate this forum? I stumbled on to it a few years ago

Re: conditioned water

Hi Rhonda,

You can likely let them drink the softened water if the sodium level is not too high. But, if you can offer them a preference, see which one they enjoy more. Soft water does have more sodium and if they already are getting enough, they may not drink it.

My preference would be well water, as long as it is free of bacterial and other pathogens, along with a plain white salt lick for sodium.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you once again. Duh, why didnt I think of that? I can give them a choice. They do have plain salt blocks in their barn and covered shelter. Thank you, Rhonda, angel, Sonny and Pelli

Where are you from? houston Texas

How did you locate this forum? I stumbled on to it a few years ago

Hi Rhonda,

You're so welcome! Let me know how it turns out!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO