Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hay

This is SO interesting! Since I board my horse I am not in control of feeding. He spends much of his time in his stall (foundered right after I got him), is only turned out in a dry lot, is it okay to always have hay in his stall? Of course, this could happen only if I could work it out with the barn manager, don't know how that would go over even if I offered to pay more. They feed morning, 1 flake for lunch, and then evening. Sure sounds like having hay available 24/7 makes sense.

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: Hay

Hi Judy and Molly,

Judy -- I'm glad I relieved your mind. Glad to help!

Molly....Yes, feeding forage 24/7 is something that is a must for horses -- that is the way their digestive systems are designed. If they go without hay and/or pasture for hours, they increase their risk of ulcers, colic (I just had a client lose a horse toward colic because of this), and laminitis. Colic is common because horses will tend to eat hay very quickly once they have been without it for hours. And, the risk of impaction is high. Their intestines are not utlized and become immobile during the non-feeding times, making them weakened and more vulnerable. Laminitis occurs in this scenario because of stress-induced cortisol levels that become very high.

So, yes -- you can certainly give your horse hay in his stall. He should always have hay there and the only way to know if he's getting enough is to have some left over in the morning. If your barn manager won't provide more hay, even if you pay extra, then I strongly suggest that you find a facility where the managers know something about horses' physiology.

I have literally seen hundreds of cases of colic, ulcers, stress-related bad habits, and laminitis in my years of working with horses that could have easily been prevented if horses were simply allowed to be, well, horses.

Thank you for bringing up the very important issue.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO