Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
sarcoids

What do you recommend topically & internally for sarcoids? My understanding they are caused by a virus. How do I bolster my horses immune system to fight the virus?

Where are you from? North Carolina

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: sarcoids

Hello Donna,

Yes, boosting the immune system is definitely the goal in nutritional intervention. There are several ways to do this.

If you are already giving a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that is adequate, then consider adding Immusyn to the diet. This will provide an additional boost to the immune function.

PreOx, in addition to Immusyn, would be an all around approach since you would also provide much-needed antioxidants (and you would need to discontinue any other vitamin/mineral supplement).

Omega 3 fatty acids are also extremely helpful in reducing inflammation -- Nutra Flax will provide this. And, you could feed all three together.

If your horse is over 15 years of age, add more vitamin C to the diet -- Pure C is a good, economical choice. Additional Vitamin E is also very important, but a double dose of PreOx will cover this requirement.

So, these are a several supplements to consider. If at some point you would find a personal phone visit helpful, please let me know and we can set up an appointment to go over his history, general health, medical interventions, feeding history, environment, etc. to come up with a customized feeding plan.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO