Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
No Hay

Robeson County has no hay; and if there is it is really expensive; we have been in a drought. Our Agri-Supply has sweet feed for horses. This is all that i have at the present time. Is this going to be sufficent or will it present a problem.
Very concerned here in Robeson County North Carolina.
Kish
Note: I have two horses; a full-size Mare; and her colt which is about 1 yr. old
Helps answer soon
Thanks

Where are you from? Robeson County

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: No Hay

www.ncagr.com/HayAlert/
If you are not aware of this site, it may help you locate hay and get some help with defraying the cost of shipping. hope this helps

Elyce!
Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I will be able to do this soon. I spoke with someone at Agri-Supply and they said that they had a hay substitute which contains the fiber but I need to continue to feeding the sweet feed as well. So I will try this for the time being.
Kish

Hi Kish,

A hay substitute is generally fine and you can feed hay cubes free choice, so see if those are available, as well. See if you can get a commercial ration that is designed for growing horses for your colt such as Triple Crown Growth.

Thank you Elyce for the website -- this will be very helpful to my readers.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty
Thanks so much for your response. Hopefully; these comments will not only help me but others that are going thru the same struggles with the shortage of hay.
Kish

Hi Kish,

Glad to help, if only to offer some temporary solution to the problem. I know what it's like having to find hay during drought situations, having gone through this while living in Texas.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO