Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weight building for horse shows

Hi Patti,

Two years old is very young and she will grow considerably more -- up until around the age of 4. So, it doesn't surprise me that she's gained some height.

14 lbs per day -- of a commercial feed? This is a very high amount so be sure to divide it into smaller meals of no more than 3 to 4 pounds per meal. Otherwise, you are asking for a colic -- the stomach is too small for a large meal of more than 4 pounds and a young horse needs even smaller amounts.

And corn oil may or may not be necessary based on what you're feeding.

So, I would really like to assist you in planning a diet that is best for growth, if you're agreeable. Click on this link for Consultations for more info.

Your two year old is in need of a diet that addresses her growing needs and too much starch, for example, can lead to osteopathic disorders where her bones and joints may not develop properly. So, since I don't know what you're feeding, this issue would be important to go over.

Thanks for writing. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

thank you for your response.

baby doll is currently getting 6-1/2 lbs each feeding (morning and evening) of horseman's edge 14% pelleted feed by purina along with the mentioned supplements. and also consumes a lot of water.

she does not eat all of it, which i was told was good in that she is getting full.

am i correct that horses are not supposed to be fed within 10 hours of feeding? if so, how can i feed more times per day? or with the young ones, we can feed more often?

Where are you from? Yorktown, TX

How did you locate this forum? google search

Hello Patti,

Horses should be allowed to graze 24/7 -- 10 hours is an incredible amount of time to go without grazing. When I say grazing, I mean on forage -- grass or hay.

The commercial feed you are offering should be fed in 4 meals -- you can evenly space them, but Horsemen's Edge, I believe is a grain-based feed.

In all sincerity, Patti, you are doing your filly a disservice by 1) overfeeding her, 2) feeding her a high starch diet, 3) allowing too much time without something to graze upon, and 4) not paying close attention to her nutritional needs relating to growth. You also didn't mention what discipline you are showing her in -- two years old is too young to have a horse performing with a rider on her back. Her growth plates have not finished developing.

As a result of the way she is fed, her risk of colic is very high, her risk of osteopathic disorders is probably as she grows, and you are also setting her up for possible insulin resistance as she gets older.

In my professional opinion, I would 1) Give her grass hay with some alfalfa 24/7, 2) Give her no more than 8 pounds per day, divided into three feedings, of a low starch feed designed for growth, and 3) make sure she has adequate mineral levels and lysine levels to support growth.

I know you want the best for her, which is why you're writing to me, and I share your desire to keep her healthy and promote a good life for her. Please know that her welfare is primary concern.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

i am showing her in halter and showmanship classes.

i am not riding her yet. she will be going to a trainer later in the spring.

she is getting plenty of hay as well as turning out with grass. she is also round penned a couple times a day for about 20 minutes each.

she is normally turned out to the pasture with the other horses after breakfast and then stalled after evening dinner with three flakes of hay.

Greetings Patti!

Thank you for the clarification -- I am very pleased to hear that you have been giving her pasture and hay, as much as she wants. And, that she is exercised properly for her age -- you are doing very well with her.

My concern was the amount she was being fed and also her growth needs. So, if you could make those adjustments, you'll be on an excellent path for her.

Thank you for writing about her -- your situation is likely shared by other owners of a young horse.

I'll look forward to hearing how she's doing and keep me posted on how much she ends up growing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Patti,
Dr.Getty has given you great advice. I would add that you should have your alfalfa hay analyzed for it's mineral content so you can adjust your feed accordingly. These youngsters have to have a balanced feed, if the calcium/phosphorus is not balanced correctly, your horse may very well develope bone/joint problems. She'll be growing over the next 2 years, horses are not fully mature until they hit 4 years old. She needs as much turn out as possible, everyday. Working her in the round pen is fine, but growing horses need as much turn out as possible to help with bone/joint/muscle/tendon development...if she can be outside all day, that would be a great benefit to her development.
She must be a looker, and I wish you great luck at the shows.

Where are you from? Wyoming

thanks for the input.

she is turned out every day. she is generally worked in the mornings and then turned loose in the pasture til evening meal and then stalled at night.

i have just changed her over to alfalfa pellets. she was wasting the baled alfalfa more than eating it. she is now getting one cup of the pellets with each feeding and i have already cut her back on the feed.

Hi Patty,
Sounds good...you are getting the hang of this. I am happy to know she is turned out all day, turn out also makes for a happy horse!!
I assume you checked the what's in the alfalfa pellets, it would work the same way as having your hay analyzed...you need to compare what's in the hay pellets and what her 'grain' feed has in the way of minerals, so you are certain the cal/phos ratio is correct. Better safe than sorry.
I also assume when she's truned out, she can graze, because hay pellets will not take the place of her natural desire to munch on forage...horses need to be able to munch forage for their intestinal and emotional well being.
Way to go, Patti.

Where are you from? Wyoming

Hi Patti,

Yes, grazing is the best thing for her and alfalfa pellets are a good addition to the diet, but not as a replacement for grazing. So, I believe you're on the right track.

Joanie suggested having your hay analyzed, which is always a good idea. It's not always feasible, however, if you have a different hay provider every few weeks. But, if you have a 3 month of more supply, then consider having it analyzed for the most knowledge about what you're feeding.

If you need assistance interpreting the results or how it fits into your overall diet, feel free to let me know and we can arrange for a consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty