Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weight building for horse shows

thanks for the input.

she is turned out every day. she is generally worked in the mornings and then turned loose in the pasture til evening meal and then stalled at night.

i have just changed her over to alfalfa pellets. she was wasting the baled alfalfa more than eating it. she is now getting one cup of the pellets with each feeding and i have already cut her back on the feed.

Where are you from? Yorktown, TX

How did you locate this forum? google search

Hi Patty,
Sounds good...you are getting the hang of this. I am happy to know she is turned out all day, turn out also makes for a happy horse!!
I assume you checked the what's in the alfalfa pellets, it would work the same way as having your hay analyzed...you need to compare what's in the hay pellets and what her 'grain' feed has in the way of minerals, so you are certain the cal/phos ratio is correct. Better safe than sorry.
I also assume when she's truned out, she can graze, because hay pellets will not take the place of her natural desire to munch on forage...horses need to be able to munch forage for their intestinal and emotional well being.
Way to go, Patti.

Where are you from? Wyoming

Hi Patti,

Yes, grazing is the best thing for her and alfalfa pellets are a good addition to the diet, but not as a replacement for grazing. So, I believe you're on the right track.

Joanie suggested having your hay analyzed, which is always a good idea. It's not always feasible, however, if you have a different hay provider every few weeks. But, if you have a 3 month of more supply, then consider having it analyzed for the most knowledge about what you're feeding.

If you need assistance interpreting the results or how it fits into your overall diet, feel free to let me know and we can arrange for a consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO