Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NATURAL ALTERNATIVE TO CUSHINGS

HELLO, MY HORSE IS A QUARTER HOSRE PALAMINO I HAVE HAD FOR OVER 13 YEARS, SHE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH NAVICULAR, WE OVERCAME THAT THE NATURAL WAY, NOW CUSHINGS....SHE IS 24YRS AND CURRENTLY ON 1MG PERGOLIDE, WHICH DID HELP THE FAT DEPOSITS OVER HER EYES TO GO AWAY, BUT THE MUSCLE LOSS AND SHEDDING HAVE NOT IMPROVED AT ALL........I ALWAYS TRY TO TAKE A MORE NATURAL ROUTE, BUT HAVE HAD A HARD TIME FINDING MUCH FOR CUSHINGS UNTIL I READ ABOUT THE CHASTE BERRIES.....I WANT HER TO IMPROVE MORE, SHE HAS A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH HER GUMS AS A SIDE EFFECT OF THE CUSHINGS.......SHE HAS RECEDING GUMS AND THE FOOD GETS INTO HER SINUS CAVITIES AND SO SHE IS ON AND OFF ANTIBIOTICS EVERY FEW WEEKS...I PULLED HER FROM HER SENOIR GRAIN AND AM FEEDING ONLBEET PULP WITH RICE BRAN AS A FAT SUBSTITUTE,I KEEP IT PRETTY SOUPY HOPING SHE WON'T GET IT STUCK IN HER GUMS......SO FAR SO GOOD, SHE IS PORKING OUT A LITTLE AND HAS BEEN SINUS INFECTION FREE FOR A MONTHE OR SO..........CAN YOU OFFER SOME SUGGETIONS????????? THANK YOU FOR LISTEING

Where are you from? PLYMOUTH,MA

How did you locate this forum? SEARCH ON NATURAL REMEDIES FOR CUSHINGS

Re: NATURAL ALTERNATIVE TO CUSHINGS

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for writing about your mare. I have two suggestions for you:

1) Try giving her a double dose of Cush Alleve. This has chasteberry and other ingredients that have been very effective in either reducing the amount of pergolide necessary or totally eliminating the need for it. I have many clients who use this product at a double dose and have been able to significantly reduce the pergolide dosage to less than 1/2 of what you're currently giving her. And, some clients have been able to completely discontinue using pergolide. Decrease the amount very gradually.

2) Protect her bacterial flora living in the hindgut by giving her a potent probiotic that also boosts the immune function (excess cortisol makes her more vulnerable to infections). Daily start offers CFUs (colony forming units) in the billions and also contains oligosaccharides to protect the immune function that naturally exists in the intestinal tract.

And, one other thing to consider regarding muscle mass -- it's a product called Su-Per Muscle Builder that offers gamma oryzanol (which naturally stimulates muscle tissue development) and provides the branched chain amino acids for muscle tissue synthisis.

I hope this is helpful. You're on the right track with her diet. If you need to have me fine tune it for you (perhaps to look if there are nutritional gaps), please consider setting up a personal phone consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO