Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
retired 4 year old thoroughbred mare off track

Hi I acquired a thoroughbred off the track,she hurt her knee back in oct 2007.My question is what should she be eating and how much.She is eating smart choice pellets and sweet feed but my concern is that might be too much protein as she appears to act a bit too hot.I am not sure if thats from coming off the track or if that is from the the feed.I am trying to put some weight on her .Hay is always available to her.She is being bred in April if I can get her to let down from the track and put some healthy weight on.

Where are you from? new york

How did you locate this forum? ask.com

Re: retired 4 year old thoroughbred mare off track

Hello Tanya,

Most retired race horses (more than 95% of them) have ulcers, which could very well explain her hot behavior. It's due to pain and the best way to address this nutritionally is to avoid feeding high starch feeds, which increase stomach acid. So, avoid sweet feeds and those than contain cereal grains such as oats, corn, barley or wheat.

Give her all the grass hay she wants and add some alfalfa to the mix.

To help her gain weight, there are two supplements you should add:

1) Ration Plus - this will boost the health of the bacterial flora living in her hind gut, to not only add more calories from digestion (hence, gain weight) but also to heal the digestive tract.

2) Hard Keeper -- to add omega 3 fatty acids to her diet to reduce inflammation and pain and to add calories to help her gain weight.

I will soon be offering the Fecal Blood Test by SUCCEED on my website -- this is an easy way to screen for ulcers. So, watch for it on http://horsesupplements.gettyequinenutrition.biz

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO