Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cost-effective supplement for a variety of horses

Hi Dr. Getty,

I'm really impressed by your site and selection of products.

I am responsible for feeding 15 horses. They get good grass hay. For their one grain meal per day, they get:
- a local vit/min supplement
- about 1/2 lb. each of oats/barley mix (a couple of the horses get more but no more than about 1.5 lbs)
- soaked pellets (orchard grass, low NSC or alfalfa, depending on need) - no more than a pound dry each, probably less

I would like to add a supplement of the fatty/Omega 3 or 6 variety. Just a little something extra for their feet and coat as they enter spring.

The horses range from an 8 month old to a 15 year old. They are mostly Paints or other stock horses (9 of the 15) but there are three TBs and three draft crosses as well. They are underworked in the winter and are, um, NOT skinny, so I definitely am not looking for weight gain. And cost is a factor.

What would you suggest? Thanks!

-Josie

Where are you from? Carnation, WA

How did you locate this forum? Products were recommended on COTH BB

Re: Cost-effective supplement for a variety of horses

Hi Josie,

I would highly recommend Nutra Flax for your feeding regimen. It will not add any additional vitamins or minerals -- just pure Flaxseed meal that has added calcium to correct the inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio that naturally exists in flax. It is very high in omega 3 fatty acids and will balance out the diet that you have.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO