Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My horse seems to be getting bored of the beet pulp

Hi again Dr. Getty!

First let me say a big thank for taking the time in answering my post from the 3rd!! Appreciate it greatly.

Now for my own question. My TWH does seem to be getting a bit bored with the beet pulp. He's been on it for 3 years now and I feed it soaked, drained then mixed 'Glanzen Lite' and 1 tablespoon of plain salt. He still eats it but you can just tell he's a little tired of it. He doesn't always want to finish it. I only feed him 2 leveled cups of the beet pulp (kitchen measure cups). Not a whole lot. For the hay, he is on bermuda grass and alfalfa. I haven't changed a thing as of yet. I'm just in the thinking stage right now.

I definitely want to keep feeding the Glanzen product. He doesn't need to gain any weight, maybe loose a tiny bit. I was looking at the Triple Crown Feed website and a store here in town sells the T.C. Lite Formula. Thinking of maybe incorporating this in with the beet pulp or feeding it instead of the beet pulp. I would still be feeding Glanzen Lite. Getting to the point here (sorry for rambling), would the Glanzen Lite and the T.C. Lite Formula be compatible together? What is the most T.C. Lite I would want to feed with the Glanzen Lite still being an ok addition. I weigh all my feed, so this new feed would be weighed also. Would feeding 4oz of 'regular' Glanzen be better (thinking lower vitamin/mineral content)than the recommended 4 oz feeding of Glanzen Lite along with T.C. Lite? Or changing the Glanzen Lite to Nutraflax and a biotin supplement? I honestly can't see myself feeding the recommended amounts of the T.C. Lite on the package. I don't think he needs 2-4 lbs of it, but then I don't know what 2-4 lbs of it looks like either tell I weigh it. I know this product is fortified with vitamins and minerals and over-supplementing is a constant worry for me. Ok I'm done rambling now.

Thank you for all the time you have dedicated to this site! I'm really sorry if I gave you a headache from reading all this!

Shana

Where are you from? California

Re: My horse seems to be getting bored of the beet pulp

Hi Dr. Getty,
I have about the same question. My mini is getting bored with the beet pulp so I was thinking of just feeding him hay. So my question is how would I give him his vitamins and vinegar if I don't give him some grain?

Thank you for letting me tack on here.
Pam

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Been here many times before

Hi Shana - Don't mean to jump into your post but I feed my 3 - ages 14 - 16 - and 27 the triple crown lite with regular glanzen and they are all thriving. I would not use any other feed than TC. Only other thing is we give the 27 yr old Ration Plus, so those would be a great choice for yours. Isn't Dr. Getty great???

Pam and Vicky-

I don't mind at all. Anyone can feel free to post a question or anything else here . Vicky, how much T.C. do you feed? I assume you are feeding it along with the full 6oz of 'regular' Glanzen? Pam, I am also considering feeding the Glanzen Lite with some soaked Timothy or Orchard pellets. That might work for your vitamins and vinegar too. I've actually never given my horse the Glanzen Lite by itself but I did yesterday to see if he would eat it and he actually liked it pretty well. For a while now I've been getting a little tired of soaking his beet pulp but I figured I would keep doing it tell he got tired of it and, well, now we are at that point so that is why the T.C. came to my mind.

P.S. Yes, Dr. Getty is GREAT!

Shana

Hi Shana, Pam, and Vicky!

OK, here's the thing to consider about adding a commercial feed such as TC Lite ... it already has vitamins and minerals. And, Shana, you're already giving the Glanzen Lite, so there might be some overlap if you were to feed a large amount (that is recommended on the feed bag). So, here are your options... My first choice would be to simply add some alfalfa pellets in with the soaked beet pulp. He's already getting alfalfa, but a cup or two of pellets will be just fine and will make his meal very palatable. The second choice would be to add TC Lite in a very small amount, but I truly believe that he'll enjoy the alfalfa pellets far more than the TC Lite.

In your case, Pam, your horse is not getting any vitamin/mineral supplement, so you can feed a commercial feed, but be sure to feed it according to directions in order to provide enough vitamins and minerals. The other option is to feed a meal of beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, like I suggested to Shana, and add a good flaxseed-meal based supplement to fill in the gaps such as Glanzen Complete.

If you go with TC Lite, like you're doing, Vicky, then feed less than the recommended amount and added Glanzen or Glanzen Lite (but not Glanzen Complete, which is more fortified).

Hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. Thank you, Vicky, for the lovely compliment. I'm blushing!

P.P.S. And Vicky's suggestion of Ration Plus is beneficial for older horses that need to maintain a healthy weight and healthy digestive tract.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks Dr. Getty! I actually have some bermuda/alfalfa pellets left from when the feed store ran out of baled alfalfa so I added it to his beet pulp this morning and he was much more interested in it.

Thank you!

Shana

Dr. Getty,
You're super! Why didn't I think to just exchange some of the beet pulp with pellets which he LOVES! Problem solved. Many many thanks! I've learned so much here; it's a great site.
Pam

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Been here many times before

Hi Pam and Shana,

I wish all problems were this easy to solve! I'm so pleased the info was helpful.

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,
Im also wondering about this...my horse is starting on beet pulp, but after the second time he tried it he stopped eating it. Ive added his grain to it, Nutrena Senior Food (he had 2 colic surgeries last year) but he still wont eat it (hes very pickey ). One of my friends reccomended cinnemon, which would make his coat shinier. But Im not sure. Is this a good choice or would you reccomend something different?
Alli

Where are you from? Blackstone

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Alli,

Are you feeding sweetened beet pulp or the unsweetened variety? Pellets or shreds? The sweetened beet pulp has very little sugar and since you're feeding Senior feed, your horse can likely have the sweetened shredded (more palatable) beet pulp.

Cinnamon does not do anything to the hair coat. It has been shown to help with circulating insulin levels, to some extent. Flaxseed meal, such as supplements that are flaxseed meal based -- Glanzen Lite -- for picky eaters -- would be a good choice.

Try adding some alfalfa pellets to your soaked beet pulp. Most horses adore alfalfa and this will also boost the overall quality of the protein in your horse's diet.

All the best,

Dr. Getty