Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
prego mares diet

Hi dr getty,my vet came today for my prego mares 9 month shot,he said she looks a little to fat,i give her 1 flake alfalfa am and pm and 1 flake orcharrd grass am and pm,she aslo goes out to pasture a couple hrs a day,i also give her mare plus am and pm 1 oz,do u think i should stop giving her one of the orchard grass flakes durning the day?she does not clean up her hay during the day but by morning she just has little left.Thank you .judy

Where are you from? calif.

Re: prego mares diet

Hi Judy,

I would not limit her hay -- she should never run out. Putting a horse on a "diet" should never include limiting forage. If, perhaps, you're giving her treats such as carrots and apples, then you may want to reduce those. And, if you're giving her any grain (oats, corn, barley, etc.) then you can cut back on that (I believe you told me some time earlier what you were feeding, but I don't recall the specifics).

So, to answer your question... No, do not reduce her hay. Increase her exercise if possible, or place her hay in piles throughout her paddock area so she has to walk over to get it.

Forage is the best thing for her and will keep her healthy and free from cortisol-related weight gain caused by the stress of not having enough to graze upon.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

THANK YOU DR GETTY,I HAVE HER ON GRASS HAY 24/7 AND THE OTHER THINGS WE TALKED ABOUT SO I GUESS SHE JUST NEEDS MORE EXCERISE.

Where are you from? calif.

Hi Judy,

I agree.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO