Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pam spray to make supplements stick???

Hi again Dr. Getty-

Now I have never heard of this before, but I read on a messageboard somewhere that some horse people are spraying their pellets and/or grain with Pam to get their supplements to stick and not settle to the bottom of the feed pan to be ignored. Is there any reason why you wouldn't advise doing this? Just curious.

You learn something new everyday, huh!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the time and effort you put into this site Dr. Getty!!!!

Shana

Where are you from? California

Re: Pam spray to make supplements stick???

Hi Shana,

Thank you for your kind words. It is my pleasure to assist you and other horseowners with their questions.

There are several aerosol sprays and you can use them, as suggested, as long as they only contain oil and a propellent. But, many are flavored with spices and flavorings, which makes them inappropriate for horses.

Having said this, I would much prefer adding a small amount of water than Pam -- it does the same thing and the propellent in Pam and others may lead to respiratory problems in sensitive horses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO