Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RESCUE HORSE FEED REGIMEN

ALOHA,
I HAVE HAD THE WONDERFULL OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE IN 2 RESCUE HORSES. THEY WERE LEFT IN A "ROCK" PASTURE FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS WITH MINIMAL TO NO FEED, AND AWFUL WATER. WE GOT THEM UP TO THE HOUSE, AND THEY ARE ON A FAIRLY PROTEIN ENHANCED DIET, WITH RICE MEAL... AND OF COURSE A FEW TREATS EVERY DAY. THE HAIR ON THE TAIL AND MAIN IS FINALLY COMMING BACK, AND THEY HAVE BOTH PUT ON ABOUT 75 POUNDS... BUT I AM CURIOUS TO SEE IF THERE IS ANYWAY I CAN ENHANCE THEIR DIET TO MAKE SURE THAT GET ALL THE SUPPLEMENTS THEY NEED INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY SUGGESSTIONS I WOULS LOVE TO HEAR THEM.

THEY ARE ALSO ON 10 ACRES OF GREEN GRASS, SO THEY CAN BUILD UP THIER MUSCLES, AGAIN, I HAVE NOT BEEN AROUND HORSES IN ABOUT 16 YEARS SO I AM LEARNING ALL OVER AGAIN... BUT LOVING IT.

MAHALO,
JENN

Where are you from? MAUI, HAWAII

How did you locate this forum? INTERNET SEARCH/GOOGLE

Re: RESCUE HORSE FEED REGIMEN

Hello Jennifer,

Let me first commend you for taking in these horses. They are very lucky to have found you!

You're wise to consider a vitamin supplement. This will fill in the gaps that are in the diet. I would recommend one that has a flaxseed meal base because this would provide Omega 3 fatty acids for healthy skin and haircoat, as well as healthy feet, joints, and overall immune protection. My best recommendation is Glanzen Complete.

Keep me posted on how they're doing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

ALOHA DR. GETTY,
I'LL SEE IF I CAN FIND SOMETHING LIKE IT AT THE LOCAL FEED STORE. IF NOT I'M SURE I CAN SOURCE IT ON THEINTERNET AND HAVE IT SHIPPED IN. I APPRECIATE YOUR FEED BACK...I'LL SEND YA SOME PICTURES OF THEM CURRENTLY , AND THEN ALONG THE WAY. I THINK THEY WILL BE WELL WORTH MY TIME, I LOOK FORWRD TO THEM EVERY MORNING
MAHALO,
JENN

Where are you from? MAUI, HAWAII

How did you locate this forum? INTERNET SEARCH/GOOGLE

Hi Jenn,

While you won't be able to find Glanzen Complete at a feedstore (it is a custom product) you may be able to find a vitamin/mineral supplement that contains flaxseed meal. So, check the label for that basic ingredient.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO