Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
wobbler in 14 month old

Dr. Getty,

Last evening when I went to feed, I noticed that my daughters 14 month old filly appeared drunk. After a vet check, the diagnosis is wobblers. We have only had her for two weeks and she is small for her age. I slowly replaced the sweet feed she had been on with Seminole Perfoemance Grow Safe pellets which contains less than 15% starch and has 14% protein. Could this feed potentially be part of the prblem? Is there a better feed that could help prevent this again? Are there additional supplements that could be beneficial to help her recover? Just watching her is so sad and after the steroids and antiinflammatories, there has been no change Thank you for your help. I am so glad that I found your site.

Where are you from? Plam Bay, FL

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: wobbler in 14 month old

Hello Rhonda,

I am so sorry to hear about your filly. You are on the right track in feeding a low starch feed, since high starch/high sugar diets have been shown to increase the incidence of Wobbler's Syndrome and other osteopathic disorders.

In addition to the feed you're offering, you will want to consider other supplementation to reduce inflammation. Flaxseed meal (I recommend Nutra Flax since it doesn't have any added grain), would be beneficial in reducing inflammation due to its high Omega 3 fatty acid content. And, additional vitamin E is very important. That's why you'll also want to get a plain vitamin E supplement -- I recommend E8000 -- that does not contain added selenium (since the commercial feed already contains selenium).

I hope this is helpful. Work closely with your vet to examine possible surgical options, as well.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO